Topic

Large Tarp Setup?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Large Tarp Setup?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Locale: Denver, CO

I just finished sewing an 8'x10' tarp and was wondering which setup was everyone's favorite.

I will probably use the A-Frame most of the time for the space and will use some sort of long cord as a ridgeline. What kind of cord do you recommend for this? Nylon paracord? A bunch of triptease?

I've used a smaller tarp in the past but never one this large. Any other basic tips?

R Yee

@lighter

But I still tend to basically use an A-frame with the 8×10. In this pic I had to quickly set it up in horizontal rain, so fast weather protection was the main priority. The end shape was more of a flattened A-frame, with bivy underneath. It provided a great shelter under which to unpack, setup the sleeping bag etc.8 x 10 Siltarp

Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Cool pic. What kind of guyline do you use?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Outward Bound Instructor Tarp

Nat Lim

@lithiummetalman

Locale: Cesspool Central!

For a 8 x 10, generally use 3mm cord. A frame works just fine!

tarpy for two!

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Drew, an 8×10 tarp is so versatile. I enjoy using mine whenever camping with a group. I use the same guy lines for the 8×10 as I use for my poncho tarp. I have 2 long guy lines for the ends on a A-frame pitch. They are about 8' of Tripease. The side and corner guy lines are about 3' long parachute cord. These guy lines are attached to the tarps with mini-carabiners. I can girth hitch lines together if I want something longer. I could move to lighter cord but I haven't gotten around to doing so.8x10 a-frame

I've also tried a bomber pitch like Dave shows above for OB instructors. That's very handy in rough weather.

Same guy lines, different tarp.MLD poncho tarp

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

David,

That's a pretty nice setup, looks like it might handle three? Was it a flat tarp?

Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Phil, your setup looks awesome. Have you tried the same setup with a ridgeline between two trees (raised a little higher)? I'm just curious as to how you did that if you have tried and about what sort of line you used for a ridgeline (anyone else that has done so, feel free to chime in!).

I use Triptease for my poncho tarp but am curious if I need something different for a ridgeline.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Drew, yes, I've tied the tarp to trees. Usually, just one. It's so easy and fast to use trekking poles that I don't really search for trees. For tying to trees, I've used the same ridgeline (8' Triptease). I usually have a longer cord with me just to provide flexibility. The possibilities for pitching a tarp are only limited by your imagination and patience.

Great tarp camping references can be found on BPL.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/poncho_tarp_techniques_gear_inclement_conditions.html
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00150.html

R Yee

@lighter

Have since changed to Aircore Dyneema

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Here is a pic from a few years ago. Pitched above timberline in the best cover we could find. A small weather front passed through during the night bringing some unanticipated winds. The 10×10 tarp set up the way pictured, caught a lot of wind. We reached out and tied additional guylines as indicated by the red lines. That worked pretty well to quiet down the flapping. I should have pitched the tarp flatter in the first place. Guylines were a mix of triptease and paracord.
    Tarp setup
    Cooper Spur

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Here is a setup during a unseasonal August storm in Yosemite. I think it provides the benefit of cutting the wind, but still providin plenty of ventilation.

Tarp at Vogelsang in Yosemite

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Has anyone ever tried pitching a large tarp with storm guys, ala Scout Patrol Tent style? (http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/facts/pdfs/fs315085.pdf).
    We did it a few times in Scouts, although it wasnt in windy conditions-just for practise/experience. I never really understood why they crossed over like that, however I guess they may stop alot of flapping and wind getting underneath and ripping pegs out.

Note that Patrol tents normally have a ridgepole, and no guy-lines for the ends of the ridges-you would need these to balance out the tension caused by the guy-lines.

This could prove a potential solution for reducing flap on larger tarps in strong winds.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I suspect the "storm guys" (which run from the poles across the sides of the tarp to form a diagonal "X" pattern) on Scout patrol tents are to compensate for the relatively short main guyline holding up the pole in front of the doorway.

The main pole guylines on the Scout patrol tent don't come out that far in front of the door. The hit the ground at a relatively steep 45-60 degree angle (to reduce the footprint of the tent in permanent scout camp settings). The steep angle doesn't hold pegs in the ground well in the wind – especially when attached to a 5-6 foot tall Scout patrol tent.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Lance,

Where was those pictures, especially the first, taken?

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Ben, Both pictures above were on the NE ridge of Mount Hood near the Cooper Spur shelter.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

This one was a 10×10 flat tarp. Sleep 2 adults, baby and
    dog.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!