Topic

I need a new compass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I need a new compass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"The weight is insignificant. The potential utility is enormous." Big +1. I have the Suunto MC-2 and would recommend it. My only regret is that I didn't get the G version and I hear the needle swings freer even in the northern hemisphere, although I've never really had a problem with my north-south needle. I had to return the first one as the clinometer needle would get stuck from time to time. My current one works fine. Viva la REI. I've never signaled a plane but I like the idea of being able to signal a hiking partner I've become separated from and similar stuff. It's just an option and it doesn't weigh more because it's multi purpose. It's also good for tick-checking the undercarriage, removing debris from eye, etc. Clinometer is also a tool to see if you're too close to a widow maker and measuring height. Yes you can do all this by approximating 45* with your arm but for less than three ounces, it's a dang handy tool to have and I not one I compromise with. It goes with me on every trip, even if it will likely remain in my pack. Although I've no reason to ever do it again, I've been on 48 hour patrols and try to keep my gear idiot proof so I can use it when completely exhausted and not thinking clearly. I got by with a non adjustable lensatic compass while in the military but I do appreciate that I can adjust the declination on this compass thus lessening opportunities for error when plotting an azimuth when exhausted or otherwise being inattentive. So yeah, MC 2G. Get it and never look back.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Bruntons, Suuntos and other major brands all have developed bubbles when lugged back and forth form Colorado to NH. Surprisingly, a Coghlans has made several trips without bubbles. So go for low replacement cost, but look for ones with declination adjustments (not scales), so there is one less thing to be concerned with when taking a bead.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

>>Bruntons, Suuntos and other major brands all have developed bubbles when I had a MC 2G that developed a bubble at altitude. IIRC I got it at Campmor and they replaced it. Just wondering about whether a vacuum test (pictured below) is a legitimate test to check for bubbles before going out into serious off-trail trips where the compass performance is very important. Placed the compasses in a FoodSaver bag and vacuumed it out. No bubbles in these compasses with this test… but is this a good test? Anybody know? bubble test 1 bubble test 2

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bubbles are annoying, but not a big deal. Your test needs a hard container, which some of the food sealer companies offer and have a vacuum port on the machine. The soft-sided bag may actually putting more pressure on the items and at least atmospheric pressure. Food Saver jars

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

>>test needs a hard container Ah, good point… mine has that accessory option, so I'll get one of those containers. Mine had a huge bubble at only 6,000 ft that interfered quite a bit with needle movement.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

A must have tool in avalanche country. Stay of off, out from under and off top of slopes in the danger range. "Slope angle matters The steeper the slope the more gravity is trying to pull it down hill, and in terms of avalanches, any slope steeper than 25 degrees is considered “steep.” Dry snow avalanches are most common on slopes of 30–45 degrees. Slab avalanches (cohesive layers of snow which can be very soft or very hard) tend to be less frequent on slopes steeper than 45 degrees, as the snow tends not to build up into thick, deep slabs. However, if you’re a climber ascending a steep couloir during a snowstorm, you should expect loose snow avalanches to spill frequently down the couloir. Very small events are often called spindrift avalanches and are generally more annoying than dangerous. However, you never know when one will unexpectedly be bigger—big enough to sweep you off your feet. The best way to learn slope angles is to buy and use an inclinometer. If you’re a skier or snowboarder you probably already have an idea of how steep is steep. A typical “black diamond” ski run is in the low 30 to mid 30s. The “double black diamond” runs can be upper 30s to lower 40s. But in general we’re pretty poor at judging slope angles, so use an inclinometer. When eyeballing a slope, the difference between 32 and 37 degrees is subtle and imperceptible to most folks. However, to the avalanche a five-degree change is huge." http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/blog/backcountry-basics-recognizing-assessing-avalanche-terrain/

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Locale: PNW

I recently acquired the Silva Expedition S. I have to get myself into a land navigation course through REI Outdoor School soon so I can put it to good use. I will use it as backup to my Garmin GPS. Eric

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools