Topic

“super” oatmeal breakfast cookies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition “super” oatmeal breakfast cookies

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Jim's cookies and bread are fantastic! He was kind enough to share them with me on our Minnesota trek. Highly recommended!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

look forward to trying both! thanks for the tip w/ the jar ring

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

Do a Google search for "tararua biscuits". They were popular with New Zealand trampers as a shelf-stable robust foodstuff that handle being dropped out of planes in fooddrops or carried in a pack for up to two weeks. When I first started tramping in New Zealand as a kid 35 years ago, these "biscuits" were what my parents made me eat. A basic (traditional) recipe is: 1kg whole meal flour (coarse) 600g plain flour 500g butter 400g sugar 2 heaped tbsp treacle or golden syrup 1 large tsp salt Soften the butter and mix ingredients in a large bowl, adding a little water if necessary Roll out to 1cm thickness, cut into square biscuits and place on a lightly greased baking tray Bake at 135°C until cooked (dry and just starting to turn golden brown) Do not overcook, otherwise the very fine line between indestructible and inedible will be crossed. More modern recipes allow for the inclusion of rolled oats, dried whole milk powder, chocolate, dried fruit, seeds and nuts and even bacon, and are distinctly more palatable. For those needing a kick, secret recipes involving extra vitamins and minerals and caffeine have been handed down through the generations. A good example is this recipe.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

He was kind enough to share them with me on our Minnesota trek. Consider that a pitifully small tip for all the trail breaking you ended up doing:-)

Kentz Willis
    BPL Member

@kentz_willis

this 'monster cookie' recipe was a favorite one of mine growing up. it would be a stretch to call it healthy but we really enjoy it when we're outside working hard: COOKIE MONSTER COOKIE INGREDIENTS 6 eggs 2 cups brown sugar 1 1/4 cup white sugar 2 tsp vanilla 4 tsp baking soda 1/2 lb butter (1 cup) 2 cups peanut butter 9 cups oatmeal 2 cups chocolate chips 1 lb m & m's INSTRUCTIONS mix, drop, flatten on ungreased sheet. cook at 350 for 13 minutes cool 5 minutes

Kentz Willis
    BPL Member

@kentz_willis

one more…a breakfast cookie we make regularly that is a bit closer to 'healthy'. haven't done the math but likely not as energy dense as the monster cookie: Fruit and Flax Breakfast Cookie YIELD 4 Dozen INGREDIENTS Dry Ingredients: 4 cups (450g) old-fashioned oats 4 cups (590g) whole-wheat flour 2 cups (225g) flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed) 2 cups brown sugar, packed (440g) 2 cups dried fruit (chopped, if needed) (300g apricots) 1 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional) 2 teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon cinnamon Oil: 1 1/2 cups (320g) canola oil Wet Ingredients: 4 eggs 2 tsp baking soda 4 tsp vanilla 8 ounces milk INSTRUCTIONS Combine dry ingredients. Mix well, by hand, to break up lumps. Add oil and work in with fingers until well blended. Combine wet ingredients and add to mixture. Mix well with fingers. Portion with food scoop (#30) or make 1 1/2 inch balls by hand. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper). Press each cookie down with wet fingertips (or wet fork). Bake at 325°F for about 17 minutes.

Adam Holbrook
    Spectator

@pharmer

Locale: SW Ohio

Hey Mike.  Did you ever get a chance to try any of these recipes?  Just wondering what if any you went with.  Some sound fantastic.  Sounds like a great way to get a faster start. I need my coffee though and I can usually get some hot water going while packing up etc.  I’m usually going at a leisurely pace though and not fast packing etc.

In a fast pack or race situation do you use caffeinated products such as GU/ Cliff Shots or similar product to stave off the headaches?  I find cold brewed instant coffee pretty rough and some caffeinated products really don’t agree with me and I avoid them like the “energy” powder drink mix etc.

Thanks, always looking to learn!

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools