Topic

Spoon Comparison

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Spoon Comparison

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

"Tuff Stuff" Lexan spoon by GSI. 7.5" – 11.29 g – 12.0 ml
    spoon

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

"Any such metric is going to be kind of silly, but watching a dozen adult gram weenies trying to move water and rice in their micro spoons would be a good spectator sport."

What a great video that would make!

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I was ordering some other stuff a few days ago and thanks to this thread decided to see what spoons were available. This GSI telescoping spoon cost $0.99 so I got 3 of them.

Probably too short and too small with the bowl, but it seems sturdy enough to me. I can see how some might have issues with the nooks and crannies harboring food particles. Weighs 8.4g on my scale.

spoon1spoon2

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

A Ti spoon doesn't hold bugs – a lick, swish in my coffee and a wipe is all it takes to "sanitize" it. A bamboo spoon on the other hand is a breeding ground and a great way to need a lot of TP on a trip.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I love these things. Been using them for years. Very nearly 9" long and 16g.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

"REI long lexan spoon"
    THAT is the one that I actually have. After all the talk I was going to dig it out and weight and measure it. No need to now. :^) Looks like it is a little heavier, but reasonable. Thanks for posting that.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Oh …. woe is me, woe is me. Frozen by so many choices …. option paralysis … what to do, what to do? Save me, save me!

Time like these it is a good thing there's an REI store within walking distance.

Just one nit to pick … the specs say it is Acetal, not Lexan.

@David
    : What are the pros and cons of those two materials (as relates to backpacking).

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

I believe Lexan no longer used in backpacking flatware.

I think Acetal is the scientific name for Delrin?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Jim: I'm more familiar with Lexan = polycarbonate. Used in sunglass lens, snow-shovel blades and "bullet-proof" "glass". Melting point of 311F but with working limits of -40F to 240F-ish. I've never any problem in boiling water nor in the highly alkaline environment of a dishwasher. I have had the edges of Lexan utensils bend and reform a bit when used as a flipper in a fry pan, consistent with those working limits. Polycarbonate is fine around alcohol, but not around gasoline. Often marketed as "unbreakable", I and our backpacking-store customers disproved that on occasion.

Acetal = polyoxymethylene and I didn't find as much info on it. Also good down to -40F, its melting point is higher at 347F so probably its working limit is higher. So maybe better to flip a frying fish with (or just use a stick!). Reading up on some of its short-comings confirms my experience with hot-tub fittings: it's not so good in hot, alkaline environments (maybe repeated dishwasher use?) nor with chlorinated water, especially with hotter water. Also, from its use in swimming-pool fittings, I've seen more UV degradation in the sun, than with polycarbonate in similar settings.

But for stirring boiling water into your oatmeal or instant coffee? Either is fine.

Edited for proper use of it's and its.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Using the same as Phil and Larry. Not needing a long handle now, I checked and found a shorter version of the same at REI. If it comes in close to the 8.5 grams as listed and $1.00 ea for my money that's pretty good. They're certainly sturdy enough. FWIW my longer version weighs same as Philip's

+1 on posting Phil, stirred me to checking for a smaller version.

jimmyb

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

SO, I carried all three of these from Virginia Lakes (plural, not to be confused with Lake Virgina, singular, where we camped one night on the way to Florence Lake this past July), alternating between each spoon: spoons The grid spacing is 1 inch. I'd score the titanium spoon last on tactile feel in my mouth and utility when eating sloppy (as opposed to gloppy) menu items. I'd score the plastic spoon in a rough tie with bamboo on utility and first on perceived ease of cleaning I'd score the bamboo spoon (from BambooMN)as the clear winner on tactile feel in my mouth but was a bit ill at ease concerning how clean I got it (using the lick and rinse approach). Bamboo will be my choice for future trips of 2-4 days … longer if I can work out an approach to cleaning that I like.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!