Topic

PCT smartphone nav

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PCT smartphone nav

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Garrett McLarty
    BPL Member

@gmac

Locale: New England, PNW, Northern India

Just figured out that the data from Halfmile PCT maps can be downloaded in GPX format to use with smartphone gps apps.

Combining this with the Halfmile app that gives more info about the waypoints works really well.

Using it with Oruxmaps means that I can overlay the Halfmile info on any map I choose. Really nice. Especially as all of this is available for free.

Here are a few screenshots, a few map options shown. Also available is Google sat or hybrid view, MS sat or hybrid view, Openstreet maps, etc.

PCT GPX data screenshot
    Oregon Map from OpenAndroMaps.org

PCT Oruxmap

PCT smartphone nav

USGS topo Imagery

Topo NW

topo NW 1

Google Terrain

sources:

halfmile gps data in gpx format for use with any gps app that can import GPX files
    http://www.pctmap.net/gps/

Site do download open source maps which work with android apps Oruxmaps and Locus Maps.
    openandromaps.org/en

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

Using Google Earth, I converted the Halfmile GPX tracks & waypoints to KML and added as an overlay in OruxMaps. With that you can query the waypoints (not sure if you can do it with the waypoints in GPX):

OruxMaps PCT Sec I

OruxMaps PCT Sec I Wypts

Garrett McLarty
    BPL Member

@gmac

Frank,

Thanks for the tip on gpx to kml. I'll have to try it out.

Peace

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Looks great! I have no experience with Oruxmaps. My uninformed impression, however, is that it involves more work than just loading the gpx file to Backcountry Navigator, which is what I do (or I presume GaiaGPS would work the same). I get a variety of map types with BCN as well, just by selecting a rectangle of area to download to on my phone. And FWIW, I've found the annual fee for the Accuterra maps through BCN to be worth paying — I think it's something like $20/year (?).

Also, if you print out Halfmile's maps (a good idea anyway IMO), the Halfmile app (available for Android, at least, not sure about IOS), the app will tell you what mile you're at to the nearest tenth of a mile, and you can easily see exactly where that is on the printed map. I tend to do both when I'm on the PCT.

One caution, however: make sure to get your halfmile maps and associated data from his site: http://www.pctmap.net/maps/
    Late last month on the PCT I met a fellow who had just downloaded halfmile maps from the pcta.org site (if I recall what he told me correctly), and the mileage numbers were about 10 miles off from what I had. Perhaps PCTA is using halfmile maps where the mileage corresponds to the old Wilderness Press data or something (it was about that far off …). Anyway, FYI, especially if you want to use his app in conjunction with his printed maps.

Garrett McLarty
    BPL Member

@gmac

Brian,

Thanks for the tip in getting maps directly from half miles site to avoid possible error.

Just to clarify, with oruxmaps, you can just import the gpx file. That is what I did. Frank pointed out that I'd you first convert it to kml, the points appear in a nice format.

Oruxmaps also allows you to download either a selectable rectangle or state by state or regional maps.

Using this with the android app from half mile, I can see exactly where I am on the map without needing to print the paper one. Printing a paper copy is a good idea, but I often don't.

All of this for free. I have tried bcn, but my personal preference is oruxmaps as it seems to have more options and I like the interface.

Peace

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

I just load the KML file into the appropriate OruxMaps folder on the phone. I assume the process is the same for the GPX files, just into a different folder. There is some "production time" in using GE to convert the Halfmile GPX files (one for the track, one for waypoints) into a single KML file but it's a matter of minutes.

You can define some pretty snazzy line types in the KML format for the track. I like a broad green line bordered by thin black lines on either side, for visibility. But unfortunately OruxMaps doesn't render them correctly.

The topo base map shown on my posted images was created using a free software package called Mobile Atlas Creator ("Mobac"), and pulled map tiles from the U.S. National map server. I was able to fairly narrowly define the map region (basically to the corridor of the PCT CA Sec. I) and define the zoom levels to keep the file size reasonable. That's probably more work than most are willing to do, but it was a fun experiment.

DISCLAIMER: I'm by no means an expert, just an enthusiast!

Garrett McLarty
    BPL Member

@gmac

Frank,

thanks for sharing your method. It would be kinda nice to have a place here on BPL that could be a repository for KML/GPX/map files such as the ones you created.

Then those with less tech know how could have access to them.

not sure how that would work and if maps would be able to included as they might have legal distribution issues.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!