Topic

New York State Weekend Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning New York State Weekend Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I've been to Harriman twice and while there is plenty to explore there, I'm looking for other hiking areas to explore (heat and humidity are tough for me). Are there good weekenders in the Catskills?

Trying to stay within about a 4 hour trip from Philly. Any suggestions?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Hey, Steve:

Good loops are hard to come by in the Catskills.

I've been thinking about doing this one. Not terribly long but good stuff for a relatively relaxed trip. Vehicles at each end make for an easy shuttle, otherwise a long walk or jog on a road.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Oops, I linked the wrong one. Since found out no parking at Star Rock… The other map shows from Colgate lake, which is the black line, up to Stoppel and back down to the Blackhead Range: http://caltopo.com/m/3M60

Can also do the Blackhead Range… kind of a semi-loop… I have done the road walk there a few times: http://caltopo.com/m/4A0J

Christian Knutsen
    BPL Member

@critterk

Locale: Brooklyn

"often described as the toughest and most dangerous hiking trail in the Eastern United States" – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Path_%28hiking_trail%29

While it's a hard hike, I don't think it deserves that moniker. It can be done in two days but had me wishing i brought trekking poles by the end of it. ~25 miles and 9,000' of elevation gain – a lot of steep ups and downs. There's a campground in the middle but i would go for one of the shelters along the way. It's not a loop so it helps to go with someone else that has a car and park at both ends.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

The Devil's Path looks perfect for Steve, but only if he's able to go at night in a snowstorm…He really enjoys a good challenge!

We had a trip with him in November. The entire group except for Steve hiked the first part of the trail during the day – including a really nasty boulder-strewn descent straight down a mountain. We all struggled with it in daylight. Steve had to work so did the same hike in the dark while it was snowing. We all went to sleep that night confident that we wouldn't see Steve until later the next day and were floored to wake up and find his tent set up in the middle of our campsite! He's a bit of an animal…

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

I could do it the weekend of May 23-24 (or actually during the week before if anybody can swing that… Cliff?).

Next weekend available for me would be June 13-14.

However, I can do stuff mid-week which opens up a whole bunch of other possibilities.

Suggest starting on the east/south end at Prediger road.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Memorial Day weekend was a no go Bob as is the 13/14 of June. my next free weekend is the 20th and then July 4th.

as Kevin stated, i like a challenge, i mean, just anyone can follow a well blazed trail during the day. some can follow a poorly blazed trail during the day, but give me a steep, unmarked descent in a snow storm on a trail i've never hiked, and having no idea where exactly the party you are meeting up with has setup camp… now that's almost worth gassing the car for ;)

looking over the Devil's Path, i think this looks like a winner. i guess i'll try it during the day, but i'll make sure it's overcast or raining ;)

Bob's route looks like it can be a reverse 6 using the "road" down to the lake and staying at the shelter so the next day is a breeze to the car.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Steve, June 20 weekend is good.

Anyone else interested check in soon,here or PM. It'd be helpful if someone can arrive on Friday 6/19 not too late in the afternoon to do a shuttle. We can stealth camp Fri evening not too far from the Prediger Road trailhead and get an early start Saturday.

I'll check out the camping details for Notch Lake/Devil's Tombstone (public campground), but if you're up for a wicked climb at the end of the day there's always Devil's Acre leanto which has ample campsites around it. I would not at all count on the Devil's Acre shelter.

Hopefully the weather will be nasty… a bit o' the Devil for the Devil, eh?

Should plan on capacity for 2 liters of water at the least and possibly 3 as there is likely going to be no water between Prediger Road and Notch Lake.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

the worse the weather the better :)

a shuttle would be ideal. i wouldn't get there until late Friday night.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Hey Steve, sounds good!

If anyone else is up for the trip and available Friday afternoon (6/19) to do the shuttle, please PM and we'll set up a group offline.

I made a reservation today for the Devil's Tombstone campground (Notch Lake, Rt 214 near Tannersville) for the evening of 6/20, up to 6 people, so there's room for 4 more. Reservations were filling up there quickly, so I figured I'd take a chance and go ahead and lock it in. It is Site #14.

First come, first served, so let's git 'er done!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools