Episode 38 | Tenkara Fishing
The extended video version of this podcast episode is available to Unlimited Members.
- The extended video version of this podcast episode is available to Unlimited Members for free as part of their membership. Become an Unlimited Member »
- You must be logged in with your Unlimited Membership account to see the extended video version of this podcast episode here. Login Now »
In this Skills Short episode, Ryan and Andrew talk about the essential skills and gear needed to take up the sport of tenkara-style fly fishing.
- Andrew’s problem with fishing
- The difference between tenkara and western-style fly fishing (it’s one of simplicity)
- What you need and where you can get it
- Tenkara USA
- Tenkara Rod Company
- How do you get fish to the shore?
- Skills and connection with task
- Flies, lines, and how they differ in tenkara
- Strike indicators – what are they, and do you need them?
- Split shot – what is it, and do you need it?
- Connecting it all together with some accessories
- To net or not to net?
- Skills for beginners
- Skills to take you to the next level
- Tenkara by Daniel Galhardro
- Simple Fly Fishing: Techniques for Tenkara and Rod & Reel by Yvon Chouinard, Mauro Mazzo, and Craig Mathews
About the Backpacking Light Podcast
- Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | RSS
Feedback, Questions, Tips?
- Submit them via email or Twitter and get featured on our next podcast!
- Backpacking Light - Executive Producer
- Ryan Jordan - Director and Host
- Chase Jordan - Producer
- Look for Me in the Mountains - Music
- Written by: Chris Cunningham and Ryan Jordan
- Performed by: Chris Cunningham (acoustic guitar, lead and harmony vocals, harmonica), Chad Langford (upright bass), and Tom Murphy (mandolin).
- Produced by: Basecamp Studios in Bozeman, Montana
- This episode of the Backpacking Light Podcast is supported and kept advertising-free by Backpacking Light membership fees. Please consider becoming a member which helps support projects like this podcast, in addition to a whole slew of other benefits!
You can contact us at [email protected], or follow us on social media -
- Backpacking Light - Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Ryan Jordan - Instagram | Twitter | WWW
- Chase Jordan - WWW
- Some links on this page may be “affiliate” links. If you click on one of these links and visit one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently place an order with that retailer, we receive a small commission. These commissions help us provide authors with honoraria, fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!