Episode 38 | Tenkara Fishing
The extended video version of this podcast episode is available to Unlimited Members.
- The extended video version of this podcast episode is available to Unlimited Members for free as part of their membership. Become an Unlimited Member »
- You must be logged in with your Unlimited Membership account to see the extended video version of this podcast episode here. Login Now »
In this Skills Short episode, Ryan and Andrew talk about the essential skills and gear needed to take up the sport of tenkara-style fly fishing.
- Andrew’s problem with fishing
- The difference between tenkara and western-style fly fishing (it’s one of simplicity)
- What you need and where you can get it
- Tenkara USA
- Tenkara Rod Company
- How do you get fish to the shore?
- Skills and connection with task
- Flies, lines, and how they differ in tenkara
- Strike indicators – what are they, and do you need them?
- Split shot – what is it, and do you need it?
- Connecting it all together with some accessories
- To net or not to net?
- Skills for beginners
- Skills to take you to the next level
- Tenkara by Daniel Galhardro
- Simple Fly Fishing: Techniques for Tenkara and Rod & Reel by Yvon Chouinard, Mauro Mazzo, and Craig Mathews