Backpacking Light is the Chartering (Sponsoring) Organization for BSA Venturing Crew One of Bozeman, MT, which exists to foster the development of expedition leadership and high adventure skills in 14-20-year-olds (coed). We focus on:
- Cooperative Team Development
- Mastery of Skills Competence
- Expedition Planning and Logistics
- Risk Assessment
- Tolerance for Adversity and Uncertainty
Crew One is chartered by Backpacking Light to:
“…promote youth development initiatives focused on instilling the attributes of honor, courage, and leadership through practice in the context of the complex and challenging environment of High Adventure; and further believes that practicing these traits provides a practical foundation that youth can use in their adult lives as positive practicing citizens in their family, workplace, and communities; and further believes that Venturing BSA provides an effective model for doing so.” – Crew One Bylaws, Sec. 1-A-5.
Build RELATIONSHIPS with HONOR
Face CHALLENGES with COURAGE
Practice EXPEDITION LEADERSHIP
Experience HIGH ADVENTURE
Each year we undertake a significant wilderness expedition.
- 2016: 12-day off-trail traverse of the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness (unsupported, no resupply)
- 2015: 11-day off-trail/glacier traverse of the Wind River Range (including a Gannett Peak summit) (unsupported, no resupply)
- 2014: 13-day packrafting/off-trail traverse of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex (unsupported, no resupply).
Or make a donation below via the Backpacking Light website – 100% of proceeds are delivered immediately to Crew One and are used to cover the costs of our activities and expeditions.
Contribute to Crew One
|Bronze||$25||Contribute $25 Now|
|Silver||$50||Contribute $50 Now|
|Gold||$100||Contribute $100 Now|
|Platinum||$250||Contribute $250 Now|
|Titanium||$500||Contribute $500 Now|
|Carbon Fiber||$1,000||Contribute $1,000 Now|
All of Venture Crew One’s funds are spent in accordance with financial policies and accountability as set by the Boy Scouts of America. Typical expenses include group gear, food, and supplies for the Scouts’ activities as well as to pay for transportation to activity locations. All durable gear that is purchased for the Crew remains with the Crew (we do not use funds to purchase personal equipment for youth or adults) or is donated to another BSA unit/district/council.
Selected Press Coverage
Crew One has a proven history of strong public relations and outreach. Its expeditions have been covered by numerous local, regional, and national newspapers, magazines, and websites.
- Bozeman Daily Chronicle
- Great Falls Tribune (and here)
- Billings Gazette
- Scouting Magazine (and here) (Print: Sept/Oct 2016)
- Boys’ Life Magazine (see September 2016 issue)
Watch the Montana Council Film, By Foot and Paddle, featuring both youth and adult members of Crew One, and written/produced/directed by Ryan Jordan (Crew One’s Chartering Organization Representative, Associate Crew Advisor, and Backpacking Light owner/founder):
- Learn More: Visit the Crew One Website.