Topic

Zpacks Pocket Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks Pocket Tarp

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Anyone currently using this as their main shelter, with or without doors? I am curious how you like it and if it would be too small for a 6’2″ user.

David C
    Spectator

@dosenfeld

I reached out to Zpacks a couple of months ago with this question, and here’s the response they gave in case helpful to you: The Hexamid design is for shorter hikers up to 5’10”. If you are taller then that the Hexamid will not give you adequate length to stretch out without the footbox of your sleeping bag coming into contact with the tarp wall. Our best option for a single person shelter for someone your height would be the Altaplex, or one of the flat tarps. 

They also indicated a shelter designed for taller hikers may be forthcoming next year.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I ordered one a few weeks ago. One of the few times I’m glad I’m less than 5′ 10″

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@dosenfeld Thanks. That settles that. Darn, I really like how insanely light that is. Seems a flat or cat dcf smaller tarp is as close as I could get weight wise.

Barbara Tardiff
    BPL Member

@betardiff

Locale: Vermont and California

Used as main shelter bikepacking mid summer last year in foothills of California Sierras and it was perfect. It it light/easy to fit into bike packing bags and quick to set up. I used it with the bathtub ground cloth. That said I am only 5’4”.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

6’2″.. hmm.. maybe tight.
    Maybe a Deschutes?

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@dirtbaghiker    Deschutes-    **Individuals over 6’ may have limited headroom depending on sleeping pad height and other factors. Review dimensions to determine whether this shelter meets your height needs.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Ahhh.. dang!

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

FWIW, I’m 6’0 and used a Hexamid Solo for many years. Cozy, yes, but plenty functional. If I were 6’2, I don’t think I’d have any issues. It would just be a bit cozier.

I think the solo is the same size as the pocket tarp.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Barbara, did you use any sort of insect screen? I have the pocket tarp with doors, and I have not yet really found a satisfactory way to keep the bugs out.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@awhite4777 I use 2.5″ air pad and with quilt it sits pretty high. I am a back sleeper so no curling up. I just don’t want to hit the ends constantly.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I am 5′ tall and have the pocket tarp with doors which I am happy about but here is a video with someone 6′ tall showing his and his mods(and a bug nettent for Duane)Zpacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp Setup, Review, and Changes I’ve Made  and his other video (Duane may also like)Perfecting The Universal Shelter | DIY | Zpacks Pocket Tarp | Nano Net | Setup . He shows himself under the tarp on a neoair pad.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@annapurna In that video there looks to be enough room for a 2″ taller person. He does have it pretty high off the ground.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

That’s why I posted it for you so you would have a better idea on size, I would not be a good judge since I am 5′ tall and my perspective would be very different, I find it roomy enough but have no idea for someone your height. I hoped it helped in some way.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@annapurna Thanks. Still intrigued by this tarp.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I bought a Altaplex tent – but I had also owned an Altaplex tarp which I liked a lot and had since sold.  I decided that I liked the tarp much better than having a tent – so, I got rid of the floor and net and made it a tarp. It weighs in at 7.8 oz and you could trim the weight further by getting rid of some of the tie outs which you don’t use much. But, 7.8 oz for tons of rooms compared to 6.1 oz or whatever it is now for Pocket tarp.

Maybe see if you can snag a used Altaplex tent and make it a tarp or look for a Altaplex tarp which I think is difficult to find.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I’m 6’2″, and I have used a Hexamid Solo with doors (same dimensions as the Pocket) for many years.   I use it in the Southwest, when I’m planning to pitch a shelter only occasionally in showery weather, and where humidity is always low.  It’s great for that purpose, and has kept me perfectly dry in major thunderstorms and strong winds.

I sleep on my side, with my legs slightly bent.   If you sleep on your back with legs straight, it is too short.

You absolutely need the doors, no rain I’ve ever experienced has steady gentle wind from a consistent direction that you can anticipate when pitching the shelter.

For someone 6’2″, in my opinion it’s not suitable for sustained frontal rain & higher humidity conditions.  You can use a single-wall tarp-type shelter in those conditions, but you need larger overhangs around your groundsheet and more space to keep your gear dry if it’s going to be difficult to dry out.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Sort of depends on your priorities. If you want something super light, you only go in good conditions in relatively dry places and seasons, and are willing to have a slightly bad to terrible night, go for it. If you want to push weather conditions, travel in the PNW, or otherwise anticipate some proportion of your trips with rain, you may regret it. It can be very dispiriting to have wind pushing rain all over your stuff, and after one of those bad nights you may decide that you would rather go home. In my opinion, it is too short for many situations, especially combined with the open front. I would at least look to something more like a Mountain Laurel Designs Cricket at 112″.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

My opinion – run the tarp open and raised up of the ground 6” in good weather. In bad weather, pull a WPB bag over the foot end of your bag, drop the tarp to the ground, and use a microfiber to deal with the condensation. As folks said, if you are looking to hike in regularly wet weather, get something a few ounces heavier, or go with a different form factor like a Cirriform or similar patrol style tarp system.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@ralphbge thanks. It would be used for a down and dirty/peak bagging kit in the southwest. I would get the doored version.

I guess the alternative would be a similarly weighted DCF flat tarp. The pocket tarp was attractive due to the simplicity of setting up.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

For that purpose, I think it’s a good choice.   I would not say that the Hexamid design is easy to pitch if you were comparing more fully featured shelters – comparing say Altaplex vs a Tarptent, the Tarptents are easier to pitch and have a smaller footprint.    But for a minimal shelter at ~6oz weight, as you say the comparison is more vs a flat tarp, and the Hexamid is way better than a flat tarp.  With the doors, it feels like you’re in a “real” shelter, all-around protection in wind and thunderstorms.    It’s the shelter I always take into the Grand Canyon backcountry, for example.

H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

Ralph says, “the Hexamid is way better than a flat tarp”. Never used the Hexamid but I think I’d prefer a square flat tarp that can be pitched in different variations given the conditions.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Would using a bug bivy with the tarp make any sense in lieu of getting a bathtub floor and bug net?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

@rocko99: I was wondering the same thing. I have a Zpacks Pocket Tarp w/ Doors on order and was debating on making a bathtub floor vs. a bivy.

3 yards each of 1.1 oz silpoly, 0.93 Membrane silpoly, and bug netting just arrived from RBTR. I’m leaning towards a bivy because I can use it for cowboy camping too, as well as a shelter by itself if necessary.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!