Topic

ZPacks Offset Solo Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks Offset Solo Tent

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I like the copious amount of space provided and the smaller footprint, but I’m not sure what to make of the foot end tieout on the Offset Solo. I’d have to see the tent undergo field testing with gale force winds before ponying up $669.

YouTube video

Charlie Brenneman
    BPL Member

@cwbrenneman

Locale: Primarily Desolation Wilderness, Yosemite, and SEKI

I think it would probably fall in between a dipole and a regular zpacks soloplex in terms of stability and people would choose that to have a more stable tent that has room but is about 4-5oz less than the dipole. The large panel is broken up into 4 sections and that should help with wind resistance. Does the inside of this shelter improve on the design of their plex series where people slid past the tarp and got water into the shelter? That’s what would worry me the most.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I sort of like the design of this tent. (but I still prefer the Notch Li, but that’s a different animal). I owned a Zplex Hex solo with the old mesh floor. This was a very good tent! But getting rid of the mesh net floor was a big improvement. My one concern was how the door panel remained high enough off the ground to make me worried about wind gusts ballooning the interior of the tent. It’s hard to tell if this tent brings the door panel lower to the ground than their other tents. Also, I prefer having solid panels on the side of the inner net. But Zpacks designs for condensation management; that is, lots of air flow for their single wall design. So solid fabric walls may not work well for that, in terms of condensation.

The two pole design, with a third on the outside pulling out the foot, looks to amplify interior room, as the video shows. And it should help with condensation.  And stability in wind? Perhaps.

I also like that Zpacks features members of ZZ Top in their videos. How cool is that?

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Speaking of the Notch-the Dipole looks much roomier than the Notch Li for the same weight. I like my Notch Li but having the mesh just a few inches from my face as well as rubbing against it while sitting up is annoying.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!