Topic

Wind River Range, Mae’s Lake shortcut

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Wind River Range, Mae’s Lake shortcut

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

Planning a Hailey Pass-Cirque loop trip for mid-August and wondering if the shortcut along the north side of Mae’s Lake when traveling from Pyramid Lake to Hailey Pass is worth it/straightforward for a normally on-trail dude.  Thanks!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I had to go look at maps as I wasn’t familiar with Mae’s Lake and though it’s un-named on the USGS maps, I did find a ‘Mays Lake” on Gaia that seems to be what you’re asking about.  I’ve been through there multiple times but haven’t done that shortcut but looking at it on the maps and sat images it looks straight forward enough.

Probably not much faster than going down to the trailhead and climbing back up, but certainly more of an adventure!  I say do it!

Sharon M
    BPL Member

@arkheel1

Locale: Central North Carolina

We took the Mae’s Lake shortcut to Hailey Pass in August of 2020.  It was easy to follow and not difficult.  Not long after our trip, there was a big windstorm that caused lots of blowdowns.  My only concern would be if that storm affected the Mae’s Lake shortcut.

If you get there and see lots of blowdowns, just hike on down to the trail intersection and take the on-trail route.

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

Perfect — thanks, Sharon and Brad!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!