Topic

Wide Trail Runners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wide Trail Runners

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Gerry V
    BPL Member

@gvulpes

Anyone have good ideas on wide trail runners?

I loved the NB Leadville and am ok with the NB KOM.  Newest version does not come in extra wide and I just broke out my last fresh pair.  I need width(have been going 4e)  and like some support and protection.  Size 14 always makes it fun finding stock.

Maybe try the new Brooks Cascadia in 2e?

Any thoughts appreciated.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Have you checked out Altra or Topo Athletic? I’ve had generally good luck with Altra Lone Peaks, but have become a recent fan of Topo, especially the Ultraventure. I have a very wide forefoot and narrow heel and both the Lone Peak and Ultraventure are working for me.

Gerry V
    BPL Member

@gvulpes

Thanks for the ideas Paul!  I have not tried either brand and had written them off my list  largely because they do not offer wide sizes.  I know the forefoot width is good but my entire foot is quite wide and high volume.

I should probably just suck it up and order half a dozen pairs to try around the house including both of these.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

This big advantage for me with the Altra Lone Peaks is the wide toe box.  I have gone thru multiple pairs, with and without big packs, trails, off trails, talus, etc.  I can’t remember the last time I had a foot issue of any kind.  They do not last more than 3-400 miles for me.  But, shoes are a very personal thing, you just have to experiment.

JB
    Spectator

@ochotona

Highly recommend Altras.  I don’t necessarily have a wide foot, but I always have my Lone Peaks waiting for me on the back half of 100 milers when my feet are tired and have expanded and they couldn’t be happier.  I will say that if you’re not used to zero drop shoes, ease into them.  I usually rotate them into my shoe lineup 2-3 days per week, but the key is that your achilles will be working more with zero drops, so don’t just go hammer a bunch of uphill after putting them on.  Downhill, however, will feel like a whole different game since you can land on your forefoot and really control foot placement and speed.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Altra is the only running shoe I can wear. I agree with all the statements above concerning the wide toe box. I have wide feet.  Altra does not make a wide size.  However, I size up and the shoes provide the width I need.  Highly recommended.

carl v
    Spectator

@c-von-meij

Have a wide forefoot and narrow heel. For me the Saucony Excursion TR12’s work great, half size up. The heel has a good stiffness and what is great for my wide forefoot is that the toebox material is quite flexible / stretches. In addition, it has a super comfy midsole. Haven’t tried the new TR13 (https://www.saucony.com/en/excursion-tr13/39116M.html), but they look the same.

Brian Curtis
    BPL Member

@nazanne

I am having this exact same problem. I liked my NB KOM but I went to order a new pair last week and discovered they no longer come in 4E. I Was able to wear the Lone Peak 2.0s with their super-stretchy uppers but the newer generations no longer fit. Unlike the OP, I don’t have high volume feet and many wide shoes have too much volume and not enough width for my feet. Finding shoes is very frustrating.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

NB do sell 4E widths and state the widths. Many other brands only sell a D or E and don’t state the widths.

Do NOT mutilate your feet: you only get one pair.

Cheers

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

My feet are pretty happy in Asics Gel-Ventures in 4E.   Not a fan of the gel insoles, so I just rip them out and slip in a pair of Superfeet.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Plus 1 on the Gel Venture. A warning though. I bought a pair in two different colours and one pair, in blue, was considerably narrower, probably a 2E. Sent them back and bought another of the other grey and orange and it was the correct width. Go figure!

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Feet and shoe fit are such a personal things. I have the Altra Lone Peaks and find them fantastic for general walking.  For hiking, I find them sloppy and a bit disconcerting when going downhill.

I’ll compare it to INOV-8 which I’ve owned many models since they began in business.  To me, the ALP feels like a large Cadillac on the highway whereas the INOV-8s feel like a Porsche 911 when it hugs the road.

I’m not suggesting you look at the INOV’s but merely trying to offer my experience with the fit of the Altra Lone Peaks.  They may end up fitting you perfectly and I would suggest you give them a try.

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

I too have big feet.  I wear 15 4E’s and my feet seem to be high volume.  I tried some Altra’s, but they were tight in the toe box, and way too narrow across the arch and heel.

The New Balance Leadville’s were great shoes, and like many, I was sorry to see them drop these from their lineup.  I have been using the New Balance Summit KOM’s lately.  I like the more supportive upper on the KOM, but I prefer the wider toebox on the Leadville, and I think the Leadville was far more breathable as well.

I have been considering getting the Fresh Foam Arishi Trail, but I have my doubts that this will be a suitable replacement.

One thing to note, if NB does not list a size on their website, it doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be able to find that size elsewhere.  NB website only lists what they have for sale at the time.  But I took a quick look at Amazon and Zappos and didn’t see the KOM’s available in 4E there either.

Before I buy new shoes, I always check Joe’s New Balance Outlet and do a quick search for my size.  I have bought some pretty cheap and awesome shoes from there.  As one who hasn’t bought shoes from a brick and mortar store in over a decade, it is pretty nice to find deals on shoes that fit my monster feet.

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

Altra Lone Peaks keep my 10-1/2, 3E feet happy.

Gerry V
    BPL Member

@gvulpes

Thank you all for your advice.  Since I dislike returns I am going to work through the options one at a time.  I hope to find something that will be my new shoe for running and hiking.

I am going to start with the Asics Gel Ventures.  Largely because they are the most reasonably priced and when you are cycling through 3 or more pairs a year price matters.

Thank you all again.  Be well!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!