Topic

Western Mountaineering or Feathered friends

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Western Mountaineering or Feathered friends

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

I’m looking to get a new winter bag and I’m on the fence between the western mountaineering kodiak and the feathered friends snowbunting. I know both companies have been around for years. They are both pretty close in weight and price. Feathered friends wins weight by 2oz. What’s everyone’s experience been with these 2 bags what did you like and what didn’t you like? How was the fit?

I guess i can be considered a warm sleeper and typically dont have any issues taking bags down close to their temp ratings. Thanks in advance

Doug

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Those bags are not equivalent bags.  The Kodiak compares more closely to the Ibis rather than the Snowbunting in terms of width, although I’m pretty sure the Kodiak will even be wider than the Ibis.  The WM Antelope will compare more closely to the Snowbunting, although the Antelope will still be wider than the Snowbunting.

Also, the Snowbunting and the Ibis come with a water resistant/breathable laminate shell material, which will be more water resistant but probably less breathable than the MF WM shell material.  However you can also get the Kodiak and Antelope in Gore Windstopper which would be more similar the Pertex Shield EX shell material found in the Snowbunting/Ibis.  FF has other shell materials, I’m not sure if they can make one of their winter bags in a different shell fabric or not.

If you want another FF shell fabric you could check into getting one of their 10 degree bags (which come in lighter shell fabrics) and see if they will overstuff it to get you closer to a 5 degree rating.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Thanks! Think I’ll give FF a call today. An do a bit more research.

Thank you for your detailed reply

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I looked at the MW Kodiak seriously as it is just roomy enough to wear LW expedition clothing inside. Is layering up inside the sleeping bag important to you as a way to sleep in colder conditions?

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

In the beginning I was just looking at the comfort rating. after robs post I started looking into more of the details. The kodiak is an absolute beast. I would absolutely swim in that bag. Most of my trips are in NY so it gets pretty cold.

Typically on a 10* night I’m in a base layer plus clothing worn minus my rain gear that I always use to keep my clothes dry but sometimes ill wear the rain jacket over my puffy because my quilt would be a touch drafty.

I think that the antelope might be the answer. It’s a touch roomier then the snowbunting as rob mentioned earlier. Which should allow me to layer up if needed.

Edward did you end up buying the Kodiak?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Doug I bought a Berghaus Ulvetanna 1200 grams of 850FP treated down and then had another 300 grams added. It was cheaper than anything else on the market Rated -50 with the top-up

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

My sense looking at FF and WM bags side by side is the WM’s are “loftier” (highly scientific I know).

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

One more brand I need to look into.. -50* burrrrr chilly! Low single digits are where I try to draw the line. Who knows though I’ve been using quilts for the past 10 years so that may change.

Anyway how has your experience been with the Berghaus been? Are you able to compare against the quality of WM and FF?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Doug there is no point in making a comparison. Berghaus UK have changed into a fashion brand and no longer make sleeping bags or any real gear at all

But the bag I bought was a little underfilled compared to the ones I have compared from MW and that is why I had 300 grams added. Not much market for deep cold bags here and most people in Oz buy them when they get overseas, the market here tops out at bags suitable for about -20C.

So no more Yeti supergaiters etc although they still seem to be marketing decent rucksacks.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I ended going the FF 10 degree route with overfill- they have the Lark UL (regular cut) and the Raven UL (wider cut)

I find FF ratings conservative, I’ve had this bag a few degrees below 0 and was very comfy

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

I ended up ordering both the Kodiak and The antelope. Needless to say kodiak went back. Even bundled up I was swimming. The antelope was just right enough room to layer and not be too snug. I even ended up getting 100$ gift card and 67 moose jaw credits. So not too shabby for a brand that never goes on sale.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I have to ask how lofty your duvet parka was Doug, my old parka was only 3 inches thick but I thought that sort of loft would fill a Kodiak well. There is a school of thought that says you should have enough wriggle room inside your sleeping bag to get dressed / undressed, I’ve never found a solo sleeping bag that was big enough to do that in myself

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

I had enough room in the Kodiak for me to squeeze my wife in the bag with me. The puffy jacket  was a old golite bear paw with my marmot precip rain coat on as well.

The antelope was still roomy enough that I could change if I really needed to but it wouldn’t be easy.

I believe the antelope was an excellent choice for my needs. Got a trip planned after Christmas. Hopefully it will be ear numbing cold to give it a good test

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

I believe the antelope was an excellent choice for my needs.

At our house we’ve had 7 different WM bags starting from 1992. We currently have three. My wife uses an Alpinlite (I find it a bit too roomy, but she likes it that way). I use a Versalite for shoulder season’s, and an Ultralite for Summer backpacking.I had an Antelope… it’s an excellent bag. The microfiber shell is light but durable.

I’ve bought all mine from Hermit’s Hut, and all have had overfill.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Did you get the MF or the Gore Windstopper shell?

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Went with MF shell. I’ve been pretty lucky with not having frost or condensation while using my borah bivy. Figure I should be ok because the bivy does a good job of blocking wind and also breathing. The only time I have any issues is when it’s been a misty rainy trip or when the Dew point hits that magic number

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

The MF is a good all around shell material…it dries fast, breathes well and is fairly light….hope you enjoy your new bag!

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Went with MF shell.

Reason I got rid of my Antelope was its Gore Dryloft shell. Not sure how it compares to Windstopper, but Dryloft was certainly an improvement over regular Goretex, but neither was great. The MF is the way to go…

ALEX DONALDSON
    Spectator

@waffel-2-2

Locale: SouthEast

This is an old thread so hopefully you’re still on BPL,  but how did your WM Antelope do for you this past winter? What were the lowest temps you found yourself in? Did you have plenty of room for a extra layers… ? Did the Antelope perform to your expectations? I’m in the market for a new bag and you actually were comparing the same bags that I’m looking at now, the WM Antelope and FF Snowbunting. Thanks for any reviews/ info you may have.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Ford or Chevy?

I do love my overstuffed WM Megalite. Had it 6 years now.

ALEX DONALDSON
    Spectator

@waffel-2-2

Locale: SouthEast

Chevy.

AlpineIce
    BPL Member

@alpineice

If you’re anywhere near the Adirondacks, The Mountaineer in Keene Valley sells Western Mountaineering winter bags, along with Rab.  This allows you to obviously feel the bag, lay in it and even weigh it in shop.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!