Topic

V 4 Rolltop Dyneem Pack with Zipper Entry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear V 4 Rolltop Dyneem Pack with Zipper Entry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Locale: SoCal

I made a 4th version of my pack! I created a rolltop pack but with a rear zipper entry. Last time I posted here someone recommended that I add a second zipper pull and boy was the a great suggestion! My sewing is greatly improving!

I also added foam to my shoulder straps for the first time, which caused me to break my first needle sewing!

If you want more pics and the full build process you can check it out here.

Let me know if you have any question!

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Mike, that is a sharp-looking pack! I really like the look of the woven melange with Dyneema for the pockets and shoulder straps.  The material looks soft and comfy, too.

Do you have any tips for how to size the side pockets? I see on your blog a couple of water bottles laid out on the fabric, but if you wouldn’t mind sharing your process (how you took into account the pleating/ room for the bottom of the bottle, the angle of the pocket, etc), I’d be interested!

It’s cool to see how your design keeps getting more refined. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Locale: SoCal

Thanks for the kind words!

As for the side pockets, really just experimentation and trial and error. I usually lay out bottles to get a general idea. Then I cut them larger than I will need. I then use clips and actually clip the side pockets to the side panel that I already cut out. I even use the clips to add the pleat in.

You can kind of get the general idea with this picture:

The picture above already has the sides stitched down but before this I had clips on the side as well as the ones on the bottom and you can “try” it out before sewing it down.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!