Topic

Underwear solutions for thru hikes…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Underwear solutions for thru hikes…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

When I started my first thru hike I had standard cotton underwear…bad idea. At the first town I went to the outfitter and they sold me $30 north face nylon boxer briefs. I quickly discovered they were too warm and this made my hygiene situation worse. I asked some of the more experienced hikers and they said “Underwear? Whats that?”

So I hiked around the rest of the hike without underwear. It was better overall but comfort was really dependent on having shorts with the right stitching in the right places.

For my upcoming section hike I am trying synthetic BRIEFS instead of boxers. I am testing this cheap Jockey ones…$9.99 and am happy with them so far but haven’t taken them out.

What do you guys do? Anyone else go au naturale or do you have favorite tactics?

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

A quick note about the briefs above. They are made of two fabrics. The ‘business ends’ are more solid, but the sides are vented, slightly transparent. Pretty well made for 9.99. They are much cooler than the north face boxers I had. Probably due to the brief design but maybe also the fabric.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Here’s one man’s opinion: The Best Underwear for the Outdoors? A Speedo.

I found shorts that don’t rub me the wrong way: Patagonia Baggies

You might have to try different options until you find something that works.

— Rex

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Men’s briefs allow the greatest freedom of movement, and provide support.  Unfortunately, while nylon lasts well, it also absorbs and holds moisture and does not hold its shape when wet, which is not desirable for obvious reasons.  Patagonia used to have great stretch polyester briefs that dried quickly, and were just large enough to provide good coverage and stay solidly in place.  They sold at around half price during sales.  So they discontinued them and the new brief, although polyester (by a proprietary name), is too small to be comfortable and stay solidly in place..  While my shape is about as average as can be, they just feel like they were designed for a totally different shape.  So when my old ones wore out, I bought REI polyester briefs that are reasonably comfortable, but larger and with an unnecessary codpiece shape sewn into the brief.  The price was around the former sale price of the Patagonias.  There are lots of comments on the web bemoaning Patagonia’s change from the old briefs.  Will also use the REI products for hiking because the freedom of movement is OK, they stay put, and the material is polyester that will dry quickly.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

@rex How heavy are speedo’s? I’m not too concerned in terms of packweight, but more interms of comfort and heat?

@scfhome
    Thats good info regarding nylon…I’ll look into trying some polyester ones

avi sito
    BPL Member

@avisito

If you wear tights, there’s no need for undies…

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Icebreaker merlino wool briefs are awesome. They hold their form, are easy to wash, and I could go on…

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Cameron:  I’d be a little shy of wool briefs, because I’ve seen how slow wool is to dry out, and for that reason, wear polyester Lorpen hiking socks from Canada.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

<p style=”padding-left: 40px;”>Exofficio give-n-go sport mesh boxer brief. I use the 9” long inseam ones but they do make a regular brief style too. I have a weird mole on the inside of my upper leg where if I don’t where boxer briefs it just gets rubbed back and forth all day which is irritating and painful…  They are nylon and spandex , they hold their shape well without being constricting. Even after hiking/sweating all day they stay in place and don’t get stretched out or “wetted out” like cotton… They dry quickly, not as fast as capilene. But they are $30 a pop, it’s worth every penny to me because of the comfort and performance. Good thing you only need one (or two) pair!</p>

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’ll offer up the Ex-Officio Give-n-Go boxer brief (NOT the sport mesh).  I prefer boxer briefs as they prevent thigh chaffing, for me anyway.  I personally do not care for the Sport mesh fabric…pills more easily and dries more slowly than the fabric on the original give-n-go.  In fact, I own at least 15 pair of the originals…wear them everyday…home, office, backpacking.  They are the only underwear I own.  They fit well, launder easily, dry quickly and resist stink as well as anything I have tried.

PS/TMI – I’m partial to the Charcoal color :)

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Ex Officio Give ‘n Go;  Duluth Trading Company offers a similar boxer/brief that is slightly heavier at a lower price.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I like the SAXX Kinetic. Good support, and I like their “Ballpark Pouch.” They also double as swimwear pretty well (I get the version without a fly for that very reason).

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I always hike in true running shorts with the built-in liner/underwear.  Durable as hell, never loses its elasticity, roomy, breathable, light, and non-chafing.  To the last point, do not try to hike in bathing suits.  The mesh used for most of those liners is to large and course – CHEESE GRATER!  Been there, done that, never again.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

what’s a good brand of running shorts

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

Nike Challengers last me for two thousand tough miles.

Jason F
    Spectator

@jsf80238gmail-com

C9 Champion® Men’s Power Cool™ Boxer Briefs from Target. $22 for two pair.

As Matt says above running shorts are probably the most comfortable option but typically do not have big, stable pockets.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

DULUTH TRADING – They have ALL the synthetic underwear for 3 season camping you could ever want.

Many styles and synthetic fabrics AND excellent quality. Their nylon and polyester pants are (IMHO) the equal of Rail Riders at about a 20% to 30% lower price.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Underwear… ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!