Topic

Tahoe Rim Trail gear list – feedback welcome

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Tahoe Rim Trail gear list – feedback welcome

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Thanks Alex!  Appreciate you sharing your thoughts.  And apologies for the delayed response, I had somehow missed it.  I’m getting psyched for sure as it gets closer!  Ran a 50k this last weekend with over 7k ft of gain/loss and that went well and have some good time carved out to build some more hiking specific fitness heading into the trip.

I’m going to be up there around Tahoe most of the next few weeks leading up to the trip so I’ll able to dial in a few things like hydration approach, clothing, etc based on the conditions, what the mosquito situation is looking like, temps etc.

The snow melt seems to have been strong which will help me lighten up in some respects and carry less water if I am able to cover ground faster as well.  On the filter, I keep going back and forth and may end up going with my running flask / filter combo for ease of use even though its a tad bit heavier.

Totally agreed on hygiene.  I’m planning to make use of streams and lakes to maintain cleanliness and also cool off during the heat of the day when possible.

One gear note, I got the Durston Gear Wapta pack and so far loving it on my test hikes/jogs.  Looks like that will be the pack I go with but I’ll get in a few longer hikes in the next couple weeks to confirm.

Thanks again for all the great feedback.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

No need for the toilet paper. The CuloClean works like a charm.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

It’ll be 12 years ago this September I was able to do the TRT. I think I did it in 8 full days of hiking plus a morning finish.

I camped right by the border of Desolation and entered in the morning, made it to my planned campsite for lunch, and decided to just go all the way through, then camped by a lake with road access a bit beyond the border. Desolation was the coolest area on the whole TRT, and I’d still love to go back and spend more time there. East side definitely felt like a death march, but the south side had some really pleasant miles and the north side had the best views. In between Desolation and Watson lake up north was kind of ho-hum.

Stargazing was amazing out there. I’m from Alaska so when it’s warm out it’s light, and down there it was both warm and dark at night, so I could conveniently cowboy camp and see the milky way, both visible right there, and also watch it pivot in the sky across the night.

You’ll love it!
    Dan

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!