Topic

Superzoom on a budget :Pana FZ300

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Superzoom on a budget :Pana FZ300

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Having started to take more photos myself I thought of getting one of those do-it-all bridge cameras for my wife.

I did a bit of research to update my product knowledge (I left work about 10 years ago) then  settled on the Panasonic FZ300.

comes with a 25-600mm equivalent, has a huge range of features including the welcome weatherproof body.

my wife loves the camera. Small and light enough for her , gives her more features than she wants.

A couple of shots taken by her on her third outing (the camera arrived 3 days ago)

both crops from the original 600mm photos.

Could be a great trail camera for someone that likes wildlife as well as landscapes and people shots.

BTW, a kestrel and a Black Shouldered kite.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve been using this camera on backpacking trips for awhile now. It’s a great camera, and not all that bad at a pound and a half. I have a Peak Designs clip that attaches to my shoulder strap, and clip it into that so that it’s always available while I’m hiking (unless it’s raining then It’s in my pack).

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

To me in the end is down to what one does enjoy using.
    I just upgraded my 460 g 55-300mm tele zoom for my camera to a 1300 g 200-500mm.
    I had to think long and hard because I did not want to go around with a tripod all or most of the time. As it happens I can handle it OK without it, just.
    Yet several suggested the 2kg 150-500mm but if I had looked at that someone would have insisted I should get the 3500 g 500mm (13K…) so it never ends.
    I sold the very first bridge cameras out (Pana/Minolta/Nikon/Sony) but this one is so much more capable in every aspect.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I’ve shot a lot of non-wilderness photos and some video on the FZ300 – and quickly found it’s main limitation. High minimum F-stops, particularly when zoomed, combined with a small sensor, means it doesn’t do well in low-light situations.

Outdoors in the bright sunlight – love it. Relatively light, easy to handle, amazing zoom range so no need for extra lenses, reasonably good IS.

Everything has tradeoffs.

— Rex

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

“High minimum F-stops, particularly when zoomed, combined with a small sensor, means it doesn’t do well in low-light situations”.

I suppose you mean not wide enough lowest F stop (maximum aperture) but this is the advantage the FZ 300 has over other similar bridge cameras .

It has a constant f 2.8 max aperture, most of the others start at f2.8 but slow down to 4.5 or 5.6 and slower at the tele end. (the Canon below starts at f 3.4 on wide but slows down to  f 6.5 at the tele end)

The Pana FZ1000 makes that up by having a larger sensor (you can use a higher ISO with same results) but it does top up at 400mm so not all that different if you need to crop compared with the FZ 300 at 600mm.

The FZ1000 and more so that Sony RX 10 are heavier and more expensive but as already stated depends on what you are happy with.

Both of the shots I posted above are at 600mm on f 2.8 (the cameras is set on A at f2.8)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Another shot from my wife with theFZ300

She is having fun with it. BTW, it’s weather resistant (rain proof)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

yesterday a tourist was asking me about some birds he was looking at (New Holland Honeyeaters, very common here) when my wife snapped this with her camera

a white plumed honeyeater.

About 1 metre away from where we were looking at , same tree.

I have seen this bird before but have not managed to get a decent photo of it yet.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Hi Franco,

My blunder – I confused the FZ300 with the FZ2500. I’ve used both swapping back and forth, and despite a larger sensor, the f2.8 – f4.5 lens on the FZ2500 gave me problems in low light.

Next time I’ll double-check my faulty memory.

— Rex

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

despite a larger sensor,
    Ah ….
    It depends on how well the sensor is matched to the lens.

Cheers

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

One of her photos from today

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

another of her photos, from today

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

That’s an amazing photo.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

She has had a lot of good comments in the local FB birders page. There are several very talented photographers there that post amazingly sharp photos but that one of the egret taking off does have something special. Funnt thing is that we were looking for the swift parrots (see the BIRD thread) but could not find them that day. It was really dull and cold so we settled for some egret photos. (three types of egrets and two types of heron are pretty much there all the time)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!