Topic

Sun Hoodie Recommendation Please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sun Hoodie Recommendation Please

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Doug S
    BPL Member

@dsmith1979

I bought the Patagonia Capilene Sun Hoody last year for Summer hiking in the Sierras and it worked amazing for sun protection even though it has been recalled since for not achieving UPF ratings.  Link below.  Looks like they have taken UPF ratings off the product now.

I would like to buy similar hoodies for my family hiking this year in the Sierras in July.  Please suggest a current Sun Hoody that breaths well and provides UV protection.

https://www.patagonia.com/voluntary-recall-of-capilene-cool-daily-and-tropic-comfort-upf-products/

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-capilene-cool-daily-hoody/45310.html

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Black Diamond did a decent job with the Alpenglow hoodie.  It’s a bit warm for me in hot environments, but I’m sweating down to below-freezing temps if I move around actively.  So, take my “a bit warm” analysis with a grain of salt.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I really like the Kuiu Gila hoodie. It’s lightweight & UPF rated. It’s now my go-to first layer for 3-season backpacking. The odor control works well, the hood fits well but isn’t tight and constrictive, the thumb loops are well-executed. A win all around for me.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

There are several threads on this. Simms, montbell, most well known brands have them. Bamboo selections include freeflyapparel and shoalgear. The UPF rating is probably hyped on any claiming over about 30 upf.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

What UPF do people need in the Sierras? I imagine you need more there in high elevation and sun than I do here at low elevations in the Olympics (below 7,000 ft). I use a Outdoor Research Echo hoodie, but it’s “only” rated at UPF 15.

One thing I found when trying many many sun shirts over the last few years, is that anything UPF 30 and above makes a big sacrifice in breathability, especially with the “hoodie” style of shirts. I think once you get into UPF 30 and up, you have to go with a button up shirt that fits super loose or it gets too hot. I can’t imagine wearing a hoodie that isn’t button up and not as loose over UPF 30, let alone UPF 15.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Most breathable-by a large margin, best fit-OR Echo-also only 15 UPF-I have been out 12+ hours and not gotten burnt.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

High Sierra… all day out in the sun at 12,000 feet… I like UPF 50. Personally, I would not consider anything under 30.

Just because you don’t burn at UPF 15 does not mean that there is not damage. And exposure/damage is cumulative though a lifetime. Meaning, a lot of little exposures add up to a big exposure over time. Having skin cancers cut off your head is NO FUN… believe me!

If you are going on a multi day backpack where you are at high elevation… opt for the highest rating you can get… or tolerate.

talagnu
    BPL Member

@talagnu

never burnt with my recalled tropic comfort. always cool and comfortable, great hood, love the thumbholes. hope they don’t change it

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Here is another from Adventure Cycling. A weight on this supposed UPF 50 would be interesting.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/cyclosource-store/new-items/sp/vapor-sun-hoodie/

Thomas W
    BPL Member

@teewatt

@John S. I think this is the same hoodie, without logo’s etc.  According to Amazon review “A large weights approximately 5.61 oz.”

https://www.amazon.com/Vapor-Apparel-Protection-Performance-Sleeve/dp/B06WVMGPRM?th=1

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I didn’t like sun hoodies often overheating.  The Patagonia Capilene Cool one literally has a cooling effect so I’ve used it for sunny days.  Great until the sun starts goofing down and the sweat turns cold.  Reminder to stop and eat though

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Ive had the Pata Tropic Comfort a while, mainly for paddling. But last fall it was great on 55F mornings. I was satisfied. Then on a clearance whim the OR Echo popped up. Air flow is amazing. Very comfy indoors all day or while hiking w a wicking undershirt in days in the 50sF. OR was brilliant w thumb loops as part of the cuff seam vs tbe clunkier way most mfgs use.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

To be specific about the OR Echo, is that the darker colors are UPF 20 and lighter colors UPF 15.

I have not yet found any shirts over UPF 30 that I can stand in hot weather. The material is too thick on UPF 50 shirts. I’ve tried pretty much every top model of “cool” UPF 50 shirts. If the sun is really bad and I am exposed, then a UPF 15-30 shirt under an umbrella works best. UPF 15 can be enough for me to combat reflected UV radiation from the ground, water, snow.

I live at sea level and hike up to 6,000 ft at most, usually much less, so that probably allows me to get away with lower UPF than someone at 10,000+ feet. Dealing with extremely hot temps might be a little less likely at that elevation as well, I would presume, so higher UPF rated clothing doesn’t pose the same problem.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!