Topic

summer (tick) gaiters from re-cycled fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear summer (tick) gaiters from re-cycled fabric

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

I was given a nice lined nylon pullover at work several years ago. It was like wearing a plastic bag so it never got used. The outer plaid fabric is very thin, tight, somewhat water resistant. The black liner is wimpy see through (breathable) fabric. Taken apart it yielded enough fabric for two sets of gaiters.

I wanted to make some thin, light, (and somewhat cool) warm weather gaiters…sprayed with permethrin for a tick deterrent. Didn’t need to be especially durable so I took some short-cuts with construction. This was supposed to be a prototype but turned out better than anticipated.

I prefer a two piece gaiter (upper and lower cones) as it gives me a better fit and also allows for different fabrics top and bottom. I think it makes attaching the velcro closure a bit easier. Gaiter hooks are sewn to overlapping webbing which (hopefully) will deflect weeds and sticks. No tunnel and strap at top, just a double sided velcro strip and a tab to snug to leg. I did end up adding the white poly strap inside at the top because the black fabric had no stiffness and just rolled over. As is my custom, I place a smear of silicone around the inside top to stop the gaiter from sliding down a pant leg. The heel strap is some heavy nylon shoe lace. After attaching I impregnate it with shoe-goo or E6000 which greatly increases the durability.

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

oops…   3.0 oz for the pair.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!