Topic

Single skin mountain tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Single skin mountain tents

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Stefan Jacobsen
    Spectator

@hrstefan

Big Agnes Shield 2 is another single skin mountain tent – and it is made with the waterproof 37.5-fabric using activated carbon for moisture management! There are a few reviews around and it sounds like the fabric is able to keep dry on the inside in most conditions.

http://www.thealpinestart.com/2015/09/field-tested-big-agnes-shield-2-tent/

I wonder if there are anyone here who has experience with this tent?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The author of that review seems to be under the impression that the fabric keeps the interior at 37.5 degrees Centigrade. How nice: you won’t need a sleeping bag for the night.

Actually, I think the fabric tries to keep the interior moisture at 37.5%, which is a slightly different thing.

cheers

Stefan Jacobsen
    Spectator

@hrstefan

Yeah, the author has mixed up some marketing phrases originating from the manufacturer of the 37.5 fabric.

https://www.thirtysevenfive.com/technology/overview

Stefan Jacobsen
    Spectator

@hrstefan

I have had an e-mail chat with Carol McDermott, founder and CEO of both Crux and Lightwave.

He confirmed that X-tex is made by 37.5 and stated that the fabric is completely waterproof even when subjected to heavy rain and wet grass – not microporous as ToddTex.

He also revealed that they are developing a couple of Lightwave trekking tents with a lighter nylon fabric (75 g/m²) but with the same hydrostatic head and similar MVTR. See Woubeir’s post earlier in this thread.
    They will be simple domes with 2 diagonal poles and a brow pole over the side porch/entrance.
    – I find side a entrance awkward when sharing the tent, so not for me.

Based on the little information available (someone has to be the first mover), I have decided to buy a Crux X1 Assault – the one with a Cuben Fiber vestibule. Unfortunately it is sold out with expected resupply late May or early June.

Thank you for your kind input!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Know you are talking about what’s on the market. But from a MYOG perspective, many of the issues can be addressed. A 3-4 pole tunnel can be much lighter, with none of the problems a dome faces in driving rain and wind during pitching, entry and egress.

The Crux tents are probably well suited to high altitude climbing, but quite heavy; so it will be interesting to see the weight and shapes of the lighter versions. A problem with dome shapes is the increasingly horizontal surface approaching the apex; hence dripping and more exposure to down drafts. There are other shapes possible that are still more spacious than an A-frame.

With the advent of much lighter but stronger fabrics, a sturdy tent can be built with a mesh or breathable fabric inner, and still be lighter than a single wall tent of WPB fabric. With the possible exception of high altitude climbing, that may be ideal, considering the pest protection also afforded by the inner; but only so long as the tent is designed so that the inner pitches at the same time inside the outer tent, and pitching, entry and egress are possible without entry of rain into the inner.

Not so difficult. Hope we will see more such designs.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!