Topic

Ridge Merino women’s underwear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ridge Merino women’s underwear

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

The “reviews” forum seems to be closed, so posting a gear review here.

For years I’ve worn Patagonia underwear for hiking, since it’s lightweight and quick drying. But it does tend to retain odor and can get rather nasty on a long hike, like most synthetics. The elastic in the waistband also tends to loosen over time, making it slip down in the back under my pack waist strap (that is so annoying!). So I’ve been looking for wool underwear for a while. I’ve tried a few different brands – Smartwool, a few others, and haven’t found any that are comfortable, long lasting, quick drying and have odor control. They will meet one standard, but not the others.

Last year I purchased a pair of women’s merino boyshorts from Ridge Merino, and they met all of my requirements. I’ve been super impressed with the comfort – not itchy, no binding or riding up in the legs, just the right amount of stretch in the nicely flat waistband, and quick drying. Mostly I don’t notice them at all, which is what you really want from underwear. After a while of wearing these (all my hiking this summer), I then purchased a lightweight hoody, and most recently a bra, plus more boyshorts. Obviously, I’m impressed by their products. The hoody is great for 50-60 degree hiking weather, when you need just a bit more than a Tshirt but not much. It is super light weight to carry. I haven’t worn the bra much yet. It doesn’t provide a lot of support, so if you need that, it wouldn’t work for you. When I’m hiking I don’t generally care so just a light layer is good. I haven’t worn it enough to give a thorough review of the bra. I am usually between size 12-14 and purchased size L in both bra and underwear.

I wear a lot of wool, although I won’t wear wool that is super itchy, so I am particular about the wool clothing I choose. I really like the boyshorts, and will wear them for all of my hiking from now on. I should also point out that I rarely hike in temperatures above 80, so I can’t say if these would be too hot in those conditions (I suspect so).

Merino ridge underwear

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

How much does your hoodie weigh?

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

The hoody weighs 5 ounces.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Wow! That’s nice and light. Now I’ll wander off from this conversation.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

Definitely looks comfortable!  Thank you for posting the review.

I’ve been using the Patagonia briefs, which are pretty good.  Haven’t looked into wool for briefs.  Maybe I will.  I tried on some “boy shorts” once, don’t remember what brand.  They felt bunchy.  Maybe that varies.

I carry a second pair of underwear on trips–wear one, wash the other and hang on my pack to dry.  If someone says that is “too heavy” I figure they are just being competitive.

But no bra.  Not being very buxom, I haven’t worn one of those since my 29-year-old was weaned.  :)

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Thanks for the review.  It seems like boycut shorts are hard to find, and even harder to find in merino.  Looks like a great product.

MTN
    BPL Member

@madscot

Locale: PNW

I just bought some ridge merino boy shorts. I was out for a two night backpacking trip. I loved them. No bunching. No riding up. No wedgies. No underwear lines. Wicked sweat away instead of giving sweaty crack. I wish I could wear these everyday.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I’ve never heard of this brand–I’ll have to check it out. I’ve worn the Patagonia undies, and they were comfortable, but I agree, the elastic didn’t hold up very well for a pretty pricey pair of panties.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!