Topic

Reflectix for tent floor comfort?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Reflectix for tent floor comfort?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John F
    Spectator

@johnfreeborg

For a completely separate camper project I ended up with a 48″ wide, 20ish feet long roll of Reflectix insulation.

I rolled out 7 feet of it and just tossed it in the tent.  Seems pretty nice.  The weight isn’t that much, bulk is a more a concern.  But folding it over a little or rolling it up and just strapping to the top of the pulk seems entirely reasonable.

Anyone ever try this?  Figured I’d try it both ways – below the floor outside the tent, sort of like a footprint.  And inside the tent.  I think outside may be best to reduce any condensation between it and the tent floor when inside?

Seemed cheaper and worth a try since I had it laying around.,

Saw more expensive options like this and it made me think of it,

http://40below.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=10

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Others have used it for a sleeping pad or under a second pad. I am not sure I have seen it to cover an entire tent floor.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

This is; or at least it was; standard practice here in Oz but rather than reflectix it is 3mm EVA foam.

I am using scraps of floating floor underlay. Lots of it leftover from renovations  If you use it under the tent floor you don’t need a footprint, it does add a little warmth tho and if you have the space I would use it inside and out

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“Anyone ever try this?  Figured I’d try it both ways – below the floor outside the tent, sort of like a footprint.  And inside the tent.  I think outside may be best to reduce any condensation between it and the tent floor when inside?”

I, too, use it all the time, but only when car camping or going short distances.

I also only use it underneath my tent, so it can double as protection for the floor. This is especially good while camping with kids & dogs.

I have found that the mylar film will peel off unexpectedly and “stick” to the underside of the tent on occasion. But given what it is, I’m fine with that happening.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

“Most brands of foil-faced bubble wrap are only 3/8 inch thick or less, and have an R-value of only 1.0 or 1.1.”

The hype.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Hmmmm… Ed, good idea on using underlayment foam for a “ground cloth” under a tent floor. I think Relfetex is too fragile for backpacking and it’s bulky as heck.

I have a mummy shaped piece cut to for under my Thermarest Prolite pad for shoulder season weather below freezing.

Since I have a half roll left I think I’ll curt a floor-shaped piece for winter camping. I’ll have to roll it up and strap it under my pack but compressed snow, the underlayment piece and my Thermarest Trail Pro should take me to at least -15 F. with my -20 F. down sleeping bag.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!