Topic

Reds Meadow, Mammoth lakes. Loop recommendations?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Reds Meadow, Mammoth lakes. Loop recommendations?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Looking for some recommendations around Reds meadow for a 30-40 mile multiday.  Would love to visit lakes in the area.  I’m recovering from some knee problems so something a little more flat.  Like below 500 feet per mile elevation gain or only mildly steep overall.  Some brief steep sections are of course un avoidable.

Would prefer a loop or a partial loop, but a there and back again is fine if loops are hard to come by here.

Thanks!

Oh, and is the bus closed by mid September?  How probable is an uber if thats the case?

Thanks!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

https://www.theoutbound.com/yosemite/backpacking/backpack-to-cecile-lake

I believe I took a different route to Cecile, but can’t rightly recall. it’s possible to drop down from Cecile to Minaret Lake if you’re comfortable with a little bit of steep. this would be my route today: up to Iceberg: easy peasy. Then up to Cecile and down to Minaret, then up to the tiny lake above Cecile. Easy mileage, but the route to Cecile is class 3 for a brief period of time.

The most popular routes out of Red’s Meadows lead to 1,000 island lake, with a variety of lake loops around. Popular for a reason: the landscape through this area is spectacular. but 1000 island is also windy, buggy and exposed to weather. I much prefer Davis Lake, just a few miles  further on from your starting point and much less visited. given the altitude, you may end up resenting me for that last sentence! there’s a bit of climb involved, but not at all bad!

I did find the following after a few minutes google search:

https://followtiffsjourney.com/backpacking-thousand-island-lake/

plenty of other options through here! I think heading south out of Reds Meadows isn’t optimal for a several day trip. Climbing back up north and west on any number of trails is rewarding. again, this is a popular area, so be advised.

The above link mentions Minaret Lake. there are on trail routes there, and even better imo, there’s a great day hike(s) out of that up well onto the granite peaks above that are non-technical. And indeed there’s a small lake above Minaret as I recall, that’s a good water source, a tiny bit off trail so rarely visited, and that is on the shoulder of towering peaks.

If the road in to Red’s Meadows is closed to busses, it’s closed to all vehicles, I believe. But you need to enter that area on a bus anyway. It is possible to hike out on the road and get transportation at Mammoth ski resort.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Thanks for this, I’ll read through the included links but the 1000 island lake area actually sounds nice.  Mid September is my goto time for bug free hiking.  So maybe bugs wont be a problem by then?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

The road used to access Reds Meadow/Devils Postpile, and other nearby THs, is under major reconstruction. Generally, closed weekdays with limited access weekends. Shuttle required at certain times. See here for more info: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/learning/safety-ethics/?cid=FSEPRD1127643

As for routes, I think Iceberg-Cecile-Minaret Lakes might be a bit much considering your comment about your knee. I’d recommend Agnew Meadows TH > Thousand Island Lake via PCT (aka “High Trail”) and head towards the far west end of the lake for solitude. Next day you can go over “Garnet Pass,” cross-country, but about as easy as it comes, to Garnet Lake. Around the lake to the JMT south to Ediza Lake. Return to Agnew Meadows TH using the “River Trail.” Add side trips to the other half dozen nearby lakes for more mileage, if needed.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Great advice, Alex.

Another possible day trip out of 1000 Island that I’ve done: take the trail going north towards Donahue for a mere 1/4 mile. You’ll come to the ridge dividing 1000 island from Davis lake. Leave the trail here. It’s an easy stroll up this ridge, that gives views in all directions, right up to the shoulder of Mt. Davis. Ritter and Banner are immediately to the left, facing west, and Davis right in front. Davis lake and 1000 island lake are below right and left on each side of the ridge.  this is “off trail” but above tree line and a very gentle  grade. By no means a ‘knee bender”! No talus involved at all; jsut gentle vegetation.

It’s then possible to drop down off of that ridge and wander easy off trail terrain to rejoin the trail at Davis lake. Again, this is all above tree line. Davis lake and even the trail are easily visible during this short off trail drop from the ridge. Nothing technical. Then follow the trail back to your tent at 1000 island lake. This is all very easy terrain. a nice loop!

Or one could stay all on trail and visit Davis lake.  or continue on trail to a wonderful area at the split to Marie lake. If your energy is really good, head on up to that high lake.

But it’s all good!

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

oh great ideas!  Let me read up on the road closures.  Thanks for that info!

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I am not sure on miules but I believe you can make a loop to/around Thousand Island area using both the JMT and PCT. As mentioned, the road to Reds may be closed to vehicles during construction.

Look closely at the intended routes and make sure all bridges are intact or at least have viable crossing locations. I know there are a couple in the area that were damaged earlier this year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!