Topic

Question re Trinity Alps off-trail route planning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Question re Trinity Alps off-trail route planning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

I’m working on plans to do a version of the Trinity Alps High Route starting from Caribou Lakes. I’m going solo, which means my risk tolerance will be somewhat reduced and so I’m looking into alternatives to avoid the sketchy traverse between Kalmia Pass and Mirror Lake. I’ve seen one report where the group dropped down the northeast ridge from Sawtooth Mountain, staying north of Devils Canyon, and landing at Stuart Fork right around Portuguese Camp. Google Earth makes it look doable, but Google Earth also has a tendency to smooth out gnarly rocks and cliffs. Curious if anyone has experience in this area who could validate this option? Thanks!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

A couple years ago Doug Ide and I hiked this area. There is a trail from the ridge down to the river. You want to stay on the trail, which is steep with some sketchy areas and somewhat slippery footing. Take your time and you’ll be fine. When we first started to descend the ridge it looked somewhat scary because a slip could be a serious problem. It was a great  three day trip for us.

Here’s my trip report

http://popupbackpacker.com/up-and-down-in-the-trinity-alps/

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

I did the trail from emerald/sapphire to caribou in the early 90s. You DO NOT want to be on that south facing slope in the middle of the day in summer. I know of at least one death there from heat exhaustion.

I can’t answer your question; probably you have seen this: https://pantilat.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/trinity-alps-high-route-part-ii-mirror-lake-caesar-peak-thompson-peak/

Two years ago I was amazed at how many people were at caribou lake. It has become quite the destination.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!