Topic

Primaloft Gold/Silver vs Primaloft Gold/Silver Active Insulation and durability

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Primaloft Gold/Silver vs Primaloft Gold/Silver Active Insulation and durability

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    avner d
    BPL Member

@patton21

Hello everyone,

I am a long time browser, first time poster.  Hope everyone is doing well!

I am curious about the difference in warmth (in terms of feel and actual clo values) between normal short staple primaloft gold/silver vs the “active” version used in many breathable synthetic jackets.  I have a feeling that there is going to be a dip in the clo values for these “active” forms.  Does anyone have any experience with this type of insulation?

Also, it is my understanding that all types of primaloft insulation are short staple synthetics, except the now hard to find silver hi-loft.  Is this correct?  I have trouble justifying buying expensive primaloft jackets knowing they will continually lose loft and warmth with use.  However, at the same time, I have trouble justifying paying such high prices for Arcteryx Proton series with Coreloft continuous which may only be marginally better?  Do you guys have any thoughts on this?  Will the money spent on Coreloft continuous be a smart investment or does this insulation also degrade, perhaps, just not as fast?

Thank you all!  Look forward to our discussion.  Avner.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Check out >>>>

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/a-revised-paradigm-for-estimating-garment-comfort-limits/

AND >>>>Go To and click on Here

This is the essence of all you need to know but the details are Here

avner d
    BPL Member

@patton21

Thank you. It sure seems like synthetic insulation is not a long term investment.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

Isn’t climashield Apex pretty durable stuff?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Re: ” It sure seems like synthetic insulation is not a long term investment.”

That would be true assuming all synthetics have equal longevity. Not sure that is so. Would like to make a sleeping bag with super-light materials and synthetic insulation, but with baffle construction as used in down bags. That would be worth doing only with a synthetic insulation that comes at least close to down in terms of retention of loft and insulative value.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!