Topic

PEOPLE!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Glen L
    Spectator

@wyatt-carson

Locale: Southern Arizona

We definitely don’t have any moose around here but up in Algonquin a huge prehistoric looking moose with her little calf walked right by our tent about 10’ away in the water. Later we saw them browsing across the cove. That was interesting.

Nearby our place we have seen the license plates for every state including Alaska, Canadian provinces and Mexican states. Saw the Cayman Islands plate too. It really doesn’t take much skill to leave all that behind with the rugged terrain. The canyons with no trails never see any visitors. Off trail zero humans.

When I was a kid I would sit down in the yard or a nearby field or wash and stare into the shrubs or grasses two feet away and see all the insect life which was an incredible meditation on the natural world. You really don’t need to travel far.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

@dirtbag.  excellent point.  i definitely need the time to clear the mind.  and the busier i get the more necessary.

i am thankful to be back in arizona.  i work 5 days, do “projects” around the house 1 day, and then get out 1 day.  i’m not breaking any records but feel pretty good about the 100 miles I’ve logged since halloween, and am clear about the inverse relationship between being physically tired and mentally tired.  my 66 year old body might at times drag, but my mind is sharp.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Recently I did a 3.5 day hike along a dirt road near where I live, sleeping in my bivy in hidden spots along the way. I had these three views:

The way ahead of me:

The road ahead of me

The view to my left:

View to my left

The view to my right:

View to my right

I don’t work anymore. I mostly do long walks down in that city where I live. And I agree with the musical instrument thing. Ukuleles and mandolins don’t sound awful even if you aren’t good at them. I jam old-time music weekly with friends in the park:

Jam in the park

And I also am a garden maintenance volunteer at Lotusland:

Lotusland

Lotusland Japanese garden

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I agree anybody who lives near BLM or mountains is lucky.

20% a day….. Let’s see 7hrs sleeping, 8 or more at work earnings money, making dinner, helping kids with home, tutoring, getting kids ready for bed, 30 to 45min working out to keep healthy and heal injuries , doesn’t leave much time for doing things I love let alone 20% of a day…..

Closest day hiking (only thing Indiana offers, beyond subdivision camping in state parks) from me is 15 to 20min, lake Michigan is 1hr drive 1 way. Fishing is there if you have a boat or shore fishing which is more limited for lakes and the river….. Smells like sewage…..

The winters here are almost non-existent, stupid climate change, summers are hotter.  The Midwest sucks.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Josh – yup.  I live in SE Michigan so our situations are more or less the same.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Jeff what part of SE MI?

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Sounds about right. I grew up across the river from Detroit.  Flat as a pancake, mostly clear cut, no hiking infrastructure.  Never met a backpacker till I got out of Dodge.  U.P. was about as close as it got.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Yup or Manistee National Forest which for me is almost 4hr drive

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I have a kid who lives near Detroit. Since he’s lived there, he’s found places to walk, hike, camp, bike, and kayak. Of course the best ones are in the UP, but the metroparks are also pretty nice. We visited Kensington Metropark when we were there, and it was pretty much a birder’s paradise. So many birds. Plus lots of other wildlife too. Maybe look for hidden gems? For closer than weekend places, try graveyards. They can be really peaceful and full of unnoticed nature. That said, I moved to Alaska, because city living wasn’t for me.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Josh – I live in Troy.  Closest place to sorta hit the back country is the Waterloo Pinckney trail north of Ann Arbor.  There are two hike-in campsites along the trail.  But you are right that better spots are to be had up in NF land to the north:  the Manistee River loop (SUPER BUSY), Jordan River Pathway, Hoist Lakes, Reid Lake, etc.  are all about 3 hours away. But those are all still really flat.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I’ve done the Manistee River loop plenty of time and depending on when you go it’s not busy at all :) it has more elevation than Fife Lake, haven’t done the rest. Beyond that is section hiking the NCT. I believe the Manistee is a little over 2K gain/loss.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Does anyone else homeschool? I know a lot of you are older than me (and I am not exactly young). I had my last 2 pushing 40. They are in 6 and 8th grades now. Anyhow….that def defines my days the past couple of years. We homeschool, then often go for walks or hikes locally. I love it though, and I am glad I took it up with them.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Mine are in their 20s now, one in college still and one a college grad with a really good job.  It wasn’t smooth sailing. I briefly considered home schooling, but I didn’t think I had enough knowledge to do so, especially once they were beyond algebra and basic science. I could have done a far better job with history and social sciences than their teachers did, but not with chemistry, physics, biology and higher math.  I also didn’t want them socially isolated, and while being around students who weren’t as academically motivated was sometimes frustrating (raised by parents who weren’t academically motivated), overall my kids’ school experience was positive, a good mix of races, classes, religions, values, different backgrounds, etc. They learned to adapt to difficult social situations, stand up for themselves, and stand up for others. By high school their teachers were true subject experts and they learned more from those teachers than I could ever have taught. If I had subpar schools locally, I’d have worked harder to figure out an alternative. Our schools were excellent.

The time you spend with them is irreplaceable though. I don’t regret my years of less backpacking, fewer adventures for me, to attend their soccer games, their art shows, ski lessons, or even just going for walks with them and the dogs. And I loved the driving time, which wasn’t a lot for us; they would always talk to me in the car and it was such a good way to connect. We also took a couple of family trips to Europe, which if I’m honest we couldn’t afford, but did it anyway. We stayed in hostels, mostly made our own food, and took public transit. So worth the experience for all of us! I’ve gotten my time back now that they’re grown, and I’ll always be glad I had the opportunity to shift gears for a while. I hope you enjoy the next few years you spend with yours Sarah!

Thom
    BPL Member

@popcornman

Locale: N NY

My regular daily

Thom
    BPL Member

@popcornman

Locale: N NY

That’s my daily walk .

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

To be truthful….we were part of the racially diverse in our school district. It’s like 97% white and very, very tiny. I am of mixed race. It’s a tiny district as well, with numbers slipping every year. Since there are such great computer programs now, the hard stuff they have help with (IXL is one we use, plus we use a place called Oak Meadow for on paper work) The saddest part is how many schools now teach math exclusively online now. The teachers now don’t do much teaching in our district. But the best part is I get to be with them and well…hiking! :D

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!