Topic

Overall thoughts on the Northern New Mexico Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Overall thoughts on the Northern New Mexico Loop

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Overall thoughts on the Northern New Mexico Loop – Five-Hundred Miles in The Land of Entrapment

This past August, I hiked the Northern New Mexico Loop that starts and ends in Santa Fe, NM.

This loop, by the same person who created the well-known “Grand Enchantment Trail”, encompasses a journey through the unique northern New Mexico landscape of 13k foot peaks, red rock delights, open grasslands, aspens, and ponderosas. In addition, some magnificent food, history, and a cultural blend greet any traveler on this path.

I wrote up my typical post-trip overview with the usual planning info, gear overview for the interested, logistics, some waxing poetic (of course), and a glut of photos.

https://pmags.com/a-journey-in-the-land-of-entrapment-overall-nnml-thoughts

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Great photos, description, and logistics report. Added the NNML to my bucket list. “Land of Entrapment” indeed.

Thanks!

— Rex

PS – How did you get across the Rio Grande the second time?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Looks like a wonderful trip.  There is so much to see in New Mexico. It seems there is always more.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I enjoyed this, thank you.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Thx for the kind words.

The second ford ended up being interesting.

Normally a knee-high or so ford with mellow current, the water levels and current ended both being higher in this wet winter and spring.

I went upstream a bit, rock hopped up to my waist and then backstroke and floated to the other side.

Interesting. :)
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I thought it might be a good time to test out your inflatable mat as a pfd. ;)

M. C
    BPL Member

@bluemtns

Beautiful- thanks for sharing!

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Awesome route Mags! As a long time hiker and lover of New Mexico, I look forward to hiking this route someday. Eat my way in chili peppers all the way to Pie Town where the food is self-evident. Now that is good living!
    Bill in Roswell (the other one, in GA, not NM)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!