Topic

Nordisk Lofoten — "lightest two skin tent in the world"

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nordisk Lofoten — "lightest two skin tent in the world"

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Anyone have experience with this tent? Opinions?

https://nordisk.eu/lofoten-1-ulw/burnt-red/p/196

YouTube video

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Tough to say if it’s a modified bivy or a tent… 27.5″ of head room isn’t much. For 12 oz’s more the Nemo Hornet  Elite 1P is a real tent with comfortable headroom.

This is not for me.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

You might try asking on a European backpacking site such as treklite.com. The tents seem to be almost non existent in North America. It’s more of an adventure racing tent, which seems to be a lot more popular in Europe.

Also. ultralightoutdoorgear.co/uk in England has what they call “Our Verdict” on gear they sell. It provide a little insight. https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/one-person-tents-c74/lofoten-1-ulw-tent-p7178

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Uh.. I’ll stick with my Moment DW for now. The Lofoten looks achingly small.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I carried a Walrus single person tent years ago that was about the size of this tent. It was fine! Until it rained for any length of time. I never wanted to ride out a bad day long storm inside because it was so cramped. The one time I was in that situation I hiked out instead.

But for sleeping at night, even in rain…doable if like me you just climb into your tent to sleep. Are you feeling lucky?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I was amused to see two versions of the tent dimensions diagram.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The height of the inner is 70 cm = 27.6 inches, yes?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Yes , 27.6″ but it is the weight and packed size of an average bivy with pole, smaller and lighter  than some hooped versions.

11×22 cm, 490 g / 4.3×8.6″, 17.3 oz.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I have a Nordisk Telemark LW 1 which is similar to the Lofoten but better head height and more floor room. The inner is a bit larger than the Terra Nova Laser Comp 1 that it replaced. It weighs in at 810g and I find it works well in exposed and cooler conditions.  The workmanship is good but they quite expensive although I picked mine up for about $410 Australian (US$300).

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

It is the Fred Flintstone tent, you’re head goes outside of it if you sit up. And to hike in it there are two holes in the floor so you never have to take it down.

But Hart if you’re small, like in second diagram, it might be awesome for you! It seems it would be pretty storm worthy and super tight footprint. Where is your next adventure? At 17 oz and change though my Duomid and bivy combo are only 2 oz heavier with a bunch of room to sit up , change clothes, cook, visit with a friend during weather etc… Duomid with full bug net inner is only about 9 oz more.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

A Solomid with netting is MUCH roomier. Capacious compared to even a FlyCreek 1. And the latter is MUCH roomier than the Nordisk, but heavier.

i wonder if the new lighter Fly Creek that everyone is skeptical about wouldn’t be a better compromise. Storm proof with some living space, light; relatively affordable compared to two nights at the Hilton. It might only last two seasons, but…

What are the zippers like on the Nordisk I wonder.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

“It is the Fred Flintstone tent, you’re head goes outside of it if you sit up. And to hike in it there are two holes in the floor so you never have to take it down”

in the eraly 70’s the brother of a guy I worked with in Italy , was particularly tall and drove a convertible (open top) Fiat 500. I saw him driving around town wearing aviator goggles looking over the top. I am pretty sure that you could not legally do that now but he did then.

(sorry for the interuption…)

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

I ordered and set up the Fly Creek HV1 Carbon. Reviews are starting to come in and this tent sounds worse than the previous speculation. Sounds like the tent can not handle a small storm of any sort. Reports that the light Dyneema fly is punctured by rain. Reports of multiple tears in inner mesh in a single night of careful use. There is nothing to hold the sides of the inner tent to the fly so it sags on the occupant. Set up in my living room, this all made sense. I decided I wouldn’t use it even if it were free.

I have read a bit about the Lofoten 1 and had some correspondence with users. This is a 3 season storm worthy tent, it sounds, if a bit small. The Lofoten 1 and 2 person versions use the same outer tent, BTW.

Thanks for everyone’s input. I am currently looking for a tent to use on the HRP (Pyrenean High Route). I only plan to sleep in it. I will be carrying maybe a 25L pack. I am on the smaller side, I guess, about 5’5″ and 115 lbs (about 165 cm and 52 kg). There are many shelters, manned and unmanned, which I intend to use as well.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

@franco – that is a hilarious image! My neighbor growing up is 6’7” , he used to drive a Geo Metro, no head out the roof but he could Not get the seat back far enough for his legs and looked like a super giant went getting out of that thing…

@hart – that sounds like an awesome trip to have in the works! Slightly jelly :)  “fly is punctured by rain” Wow! The Horror! That would be a nightmare to find out in the field! Sounds like, for a nice little dry cave to climb into and sleep, the Lofoten will be great for you.  I kind of should have assumed you were a little “small” because it looks like you fit in a dryer… almost comfortably :) taller people can be slightly skeptical of tiny tents, forgetting the spacial requirements of others can be a bit hard to conceive…

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

You might also consider the Terra Nova Laser Pulse 1. Weighs 500 grams and has more headroom (12 cm) than the Lofoten.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Hart – Honestly I’m not surprised to hear about problems with the FC Carbon shelters.  Regardless of materials used, I am not a fan of the FC design.  Period!

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

15″ wide foot area? No thanks. These styles also don’t typically vent well.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

i carried a fly Creek solo Light for years through some very bad storms and winds indeed with no problems. Quite the contrary, I found it to be bombproof. In the Sierra at least condensation was no issue, and in fact I liked the way the inner body hung down from the fly so that it wouldn’t stick to the netting the way jch describes in his post above.

the zippers however are crap. there’s a lot of tension on the door and the zippers invariably failed on me after about two seasons, or less. This is one instance where I used the old REI return policy without feeling like I was abusing the company. I babied those zips and they still failed.

I didn’t use the return policy for normal wear and tear of items.

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

@septimius Thanks. 12cm more headroom in the Terra Nova Laser Pulse 1?…nice. Looks quite similar to the Nordisk Lofoten. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-No8wuaUEXE @book I do have an unused pre-HV generation BA Fly Creek 1, weighing in at 2 lbs trail weight. I will use that in a pinch. I would rather have something a bit more storm worthy for this. I’d like to be able to get the fly down to the ground if desired, for example. The tunnel design appeals to me. And I would prefer something lighter as I do not intend to use it every night. Thanks so much for all your input!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Any tent that long with a single pole at one end is little more than a mosquito shelter. Get much wind on it (end on or sideways) and the roof will collapse on you. Get heavy rain or, worse still, any snow and the roof will collapse on you. Get a cold night with humidity and the condensation inside will be bad. Try to spend any time inside it lying down (because you can’t really sit up) and see how you like it.

It is not hard to create a bad design: we see hundreds of them all the time.

My 2c.
    Cheers

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!