Topic

New pyramid tent by SlingFin: Cinder Cone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New pyramid tent by SlingFin: Cinder Cone

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I happened across a recent IG post by SlingFin saying that they’re testing a new pyramid tent, the Cinder Cone, on a Tour Divide bikepacking trip and if it passes the test, they’ll offer it later this summer. Only one pic – no specific details.  They did note in the comments that they plan on releasing a mesh inner for it.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

We’ve been very pleased with their shelters. Looking forward to finding our more about this pyramid tent from them.

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

I want

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

I wonder if it will have…

• Peak vents (looks like it, up there on the sides);
    • A typical square footprint, or something with more aspects (ie, how close will we get to the word “cone”)?

And does anyone know what that line running corner to corner on the ground would be for?

EDIT: Reviewing the IG post comments it is in fact a 9′ x 9′ square with a 6′ peak.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

And does anyone know what that line running corner to corner on the ground would be for?

Just guessing, but could it be a way to judge the placement of those 2 corner stakes to get a symmetrical stakeout?

Kevin M
    BPL Member

@scottish_kev

I wonder if it will have…

Peak vents (looks like it, up there on the sides);

Seems to have two of their “through vents” I’m sure they call them, if you look at the video for the Slingfin Crossbow you can see more info on how this style of vent works (around the 4 minute mark).

YouTube video

SlingFin Tim
    BPL Member

@mrs-dash

Hey folks! Sorry I missed this thread- my google alert let me down. I have the answers you seek!

Happy to report I survived the Tour Divide and the Cinder Cone passed the test with flying colors.

Yes, it will be a 9′ x 9′ square, and JCH is absolutely right- the diagonal cord positions the opposite corners at the proper distance, to avoid the dreaded “rhombus” during setup. That’s the trickiest part of setting up a square mid, and this system eases the setup process significantly.

Two high drawstring thru-vents and one large low vent/window.

We received our shipment of Cinder Cones from the factory last week. I just finished shooting photos of it for our website, and once they’re edited we’ll get it up on the site, hopefully next week.

A full mesh insert for the mid with a sewn-in tub floor will be available later this fall (development took a bit longer for the insert).

Min weight (mid only) is 1lb 11oz.

Happy to answer any more questions. I’ll post all the details on the SlingFin website next week!

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Thanks, Tim. Congrats on completing the Tour Divide!

SlingFin Tim
    BPL Member

@mrs-dash

Thanks, Alex!! It was quite an adventure!

Just wanted to let you all know that the Cinder Cone is up on our website. I’m waiting on some stock photos from ALUULA before I do our “hard launch” with email newsletters etc. but the tent is in stock and all of the technical details are posted!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!