Topic

Nesting cups

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nesting cups

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

My wife and I use these two GSI (Lexan ?) 16 oz cups. Our favorites! But, they don’t nest into each other, and as a consequence, they take-up about a one liter Nalgene bottle worth of room in the backpack. I’d love to find some cups that large (16 oz) that fit into one-another. But NOT the silicone stuff (please).

REI has some nesting cups, but, too small:

https://www.rei.com/product/617915/gsi-outdoors-lexan-cup

We really like the plastic material GSI uses, it doesn’t weigh much, and it does not burn your lips (or hands) like metal cups do.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Paul,

My family and I have been using Starbucks cups since 2013. They nest perfectly and only cost about $1 each (back in 2013).

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Also, if you use a Jetboil, you can cut the top off of a full size Nalgene. The Nalgene will fit perfectly in the Jetboil pot while a fuel canister will fit inside the Nalgene.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Gsi cascadian cups nest to some extent, and are 12oz capacity.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Maybe get Snow Peak 450 and 600 single-wall Ti cups with Hot Lips? According to specs the 450 will easily nest in the 600.

Spendy solution but it fits your criteria. And if the GSI mugs you’re referring to are the Infinity mugs with the neoprene covers, those weigh 3.6 oz, and both the Snow Peak mugs are lighter than that… 3 oz and 2.4 oz respectively, IIRC

Or maybe one of the GSI mugs can nest inside the 600?

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

“Gsi cascadian cups nest to some extent, and are 12oz capacity.”

Thanks. Yes, they do nest, but too small for us.

I saw another thread on this (BPL search) and am thinking that Ziplock small size twist-and-lock might be worth pursuing

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Ive been using the GSI Infinity stacking cup for the last year and love it.  Approx 14 oz capacity and weighs only 1.8 oz.  I removed the handle cause it is not needed..makes stacking easier too. Graduations make measuring out water for dehydrated meals easy.  Hot drinks dont burn your lips.  And CHEAP!  For a $6 investment what is there to lose?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Cups take up no real room at all if you use them as containers to put stuff in

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Casey, can you fit the burner along with the cut down Nalgene and fuel canister in the Jetboil pot?

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

John,

I use the BRS 3000-T stove and it fits inside the Nalgene, below the fuel canister, along with my lighter. I’ll look for a photo.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Perfect!  Now I have a reason to try out my BRS stove.  Thanks.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

@clbowden – cutting down a Nalgene is a brilliant idea!  I just made a 20 fl oz, 2.5 oz cup out of something I was never going to use again.  Awesome kismet that a 100g canister fits in perfectly. My Infinity cup just may now be retired.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Glad you like it JCH. Seems like a no-brainer if you use a Jetboil.

Now you need one of these…

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

I have been using the Wildo fold-a-cup for yearsand  really love it.  They have two sizes, the small nests inside the large.  And the large folds down to 1 1/2″ tall, so can be stored in hip belt pocket.  Large weighs 1.62 ounces.  Squat design prevents tipping on uneven surfaces.  The large holds 20 ounces, while the small holds 8 ounces when filed to the brim.  Lately, I have been using the small for my cup, and the large for my bowl.  Highly recommended.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!