Topic

Minimum temperature for GG Thinlite pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Minimum temperature for GG Thinlite pad

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JStanky
    BPL Member

@jstanky

Locale: SF Bay Area

For any GG thinlite pad users out there, I’m curious as to the lowest temp you use that 1/8 inch pad in. I’ve been out on a couple trips this year trying the thinlite for the first time. Full disclosure, I’m currently folding the full 5 ft length in half, or doubling up the thickness, and I’ve found I’ve slept comfortably. But it hasn’t been lower than 40 degrees at night. Just wondering what the edge of the envelope is on temperature.  I’m sure good site selection, ground cover, etc, all will help.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I used a Thinlite as my sole pad for a thruhike of the PNT about ten years ago.  Base temperatures are highly subjective to the user so not sure how valuable the information will be to you, but I regularly experienced temps into the 40s.  My sleep system consisted of the Thinlite, a Nunatak quilt, and an MLD bivy.

JStanky
    BPL Member

@jstanky

Locale: SF Bay Area

Thanks Sam.  Yes, understood that this is pretty subjective.  I’m really curious if anyone is comfortable pushing the pad into the mid 30’s.  Realistically I know I’m just going to have to take it colder and colder until I freeze my tail off for a trip.  I’m using a Borah cuben bivy along with a 40 degree EE enigma quilt.  When paired with my down jacket and a torso length xlite inflatable pad I’d have no problem taking that setup down to freezing and even below if I added a little more foot and head insulation.  But I’m guessing that once the temp gets close to freezing that the thinlite is going leave me wishing I brought the xlite.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

EVAZOTE GREY FOAM (21″ x 72″ /0.95cm – 3/8in) –  (R-Value 1.36) – (10.68oz)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

It is highly subjective, so take this with a grain of salt. The overall sleeping system, which consists of the ground, pad, bag, and any tent floor, is often a matter of averaging different conditions. I can sleep with no pad down to 20F IFF, the ground is dry, I have a lot of forest duff u der me, and, I have some sort of overstuffed bag. I have needed an R4 pad at 50F if there is wet ground under me. Generally a 1/8″ pad doesn’t provide that much R value and little comfort. It does provide a good vapor barrier. The rest is up to you.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+ 1 for forest duff, pine needles, etc!

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

TheThinlite is good for protecting your real sleeping pad from puntures.  The rest is up to you, as was posted above, IMO, at least for most folks, particularly the elderly among us.  For comfort and insulation, I’ll take something that offers more insulation, be it from Cascade Designs, Exped, Big Agnes, or whoever.

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

If you really want to push the boundaries and given the subjective and highly variable nature of thiese boundaries depending on conditions, perhaps trial,it at home before trail?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I always carry this thinlite pad, for puncture protection for my real pad. I’d never use it as a stand alone pad. Far too thin. Ground is cold, often colder than the surrounding air.

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

Having the 1/8″ pad laid inside a folded orange/silver em blanket is my ground sheet, for multiple reasons.  ~RL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!