Topic

Making my Tarp and Bivy Work in a “Pinch”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Making my Tarp and Bivy Work in a “Pinch”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

So if you watched my recent trip video “White Mountains, New Hampshire” you probably saw the clip of my kids hanging in their hammocks and my tarp and bivy set up wonky on the downward side of the mountain with a curved tree trunk leaning down on me. This was what we had to work with at sunset, after a hard day hiking and at the tail end of a wicked thunder storm with torrential down pours. Yes the hammocks were ideal in this spot and yes I was envious of them both on this night. However,  I was able to make it work just fine and I actually had a great nights sleep comfortably and 100% dry, even though it looked dreadful. Perhaps I was that tired and beat down from the long day and the weather? That is possible, but regardless, I slept a solid 9 hours cozy as can be. I actually used my larger tarp on this trip, Borah Gear 7×9 Silpoly tarp because I knew it was going to rain long and hard and I was hiking with 2 of my kids. So I figured carry the larger tarp in case it was raining and we wanted to hang out together to eat lunch/dinner or chit chat at camp before sleeping. Well, honestly, none of that happened except the rain!! We were all exhausted by the time we finished setting up camp and went right to sleep in our own “homes”. The tarp is BIG as I always use the smaller 5.8 × 9 solo tarp and find that one to be just about perfect. I would not hesitate to use the 7×9 again on trips I would be expecting lots of rain as the coverage is plenty, especially using an eVent bivy.. which I could have easily used a regular ” splash” bivy.. But since the forecast was calling for possible flooding I wanted to make sure I stayed dry as possible.. Not an ideal location but one of the many reasons I love using a tarp is exactly this.. I can always find a spot and make it work, as long as my body can lay in a spot. Sure the tree was in my way and I was kind of on a slope but the tarp pitched perfectly around the tree and kept me dry through a rainy evening.  Check out the pictures..

Sam E
    BPL Member

@sam-in-va

Wow, there are trees everywhere!  I’m surprised that you could find enough space for the hammock tarps.  I used to use a tarp and bivy (Early Winters first gen goretex) years ago.  These days, if there are tress, I’m sleeping in a hammock.

JVD
    BPL Member

@jdavis

Locale: Front Range, CO Plateau, etc

Nice creativity. I almost always use the same set up — splash bivy and one of the two tarps you mention. I like the options this gives me, and for the most part, I enjoy the process of working with what’s there to get a good pitch.

One small difference: Borah Gear sewed tie-outs in the middle of each panel. Gives me some extra space.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Am I correct that you used a thinlight type foam pad under a bathtub floor under your bivy?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yes. That thinlight pad always comes with me. I carry it against my back on outside of my pack, Zpacks Nero.  Torrential downpours and flash flooding…hence the bathtub ground sheet under the bivy..the thinlight pad came in handy on the side of my bivy to kneel on and get organized.  I also use it throughout the day when I take breaks to sit/lay on.. easily accessible! Overkill? Maybe.. but I never leave home without it and my packweight was at 12 lbs, so no brainer for me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!