Topic

Looking for Flip Mitts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for Flip Mitts

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Its time to gear up again for winter as I wore out my flip mitts last year.

Does anyone know a source for a high quality flip mitt?  I’m looking for fleece for breathability, palm protection for pole use, ability to flip open to expose finger ends for screen navigation, large sizes so I can fit a liner underneath, and a heat pad pocket. Intent is to take these down as low ~ -30C (brisk movement, never static) like my last pair

These were the best I could find, but CT gear is usually unreliable, reflecting the low price: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yukon-gear-fleece-flip-mitts-gloves-with-handwarmer-pocket-for-hunting-hiking-black-3750274p.html

They look thin but my previous pair weren’t much thicker and its a toss up if the heat pad will make up the difference.

I’m trying to avoid pogies as I need to pull out the phone every so often for navigation when I’m bushwacking.

Thanks!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’m guessing you need more “screen targeting precision” than any of the touch enabled gloves provide?

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I have used some Black Diamond ones purchased at REI for a few seasons. Perhaps this model. Notice that they are a wind-resistant fleece, so the breathability is less than standard fleece, but I actually prefer Windbloc for mitts and gloves.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

If I were buying more (I have a few pairs) I’d grab the OR Convertibles. They have the flip-mitt and thumb, plus touchscreen leather on the thumb if you don’t want to expose your thumb. Also, the palms are a grippy, reinforced material.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Decathlon makes touch sensitive gloves thin enough to use as liners that have been working out pretty well:

https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/8655824/hiking-stretch-gloves-mt-500-black#/

I use a few different glove/mitt combos depending on the temperature.  Mitts below -5C, add silk liners < -10C, switch to the Forclaz liner <-20C.

Thanks for the suggestions for the OR and BD mitts (BD seem to be NLA).  They’re WPB and I’m trying to find something less sweaty (I add overmitts when its snowing hard) but if that’s a bust will give them a shot!

I guess the days of low tech fleece mitts is too old school for the market?

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Add me to the list who need this. My hands have gotten incredibly sensitive to cold in the last few years. I have some huge military wool gloves with leather overmitts but man are they unwieldly.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I used to use some BD Grubb Gloves which have a mitten flip but they stopped making them :(. I ended up switched to the fleece gloves and some over mitts that I pull off when I need to use the phone.  Would love to find a nice pair of fleece gloves with a waterproof / high loft flip mitten.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Brad, my right hand developed a permanent cold sensitivity too from exposure.   I now restrict finger exposure to ~ < 30 seconds when its below -20C and use heavier liners (those decathlon ones are good).

Wristies help a bit.   They’re no substitute for too-thin mitts and I find make my forearm too warm for the finger warmth they provide when hiking but they’re especially useful indoors at the computer when I’m on my butt and not pushing blood flow.

https://www.wristies.com/

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@David thanks, interesting I have seen those but didn’t know the name.

Eric Kammerer
    BPL Member

@erickammerer

Enlightened Equipment makes the Apex version, but not fleece. They are extremely warm — too warm most of the time for me, and I have Raynaud’s.

Amazon carries a wide variety, including Carhartt. Hunting supply stores in general probably have other brands.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@Eric those Apex mitts look nice. I wonder how big of a warmth difference there is between 2/4/6oz Apex material.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

@eric thanks for the lead on carhartt. Amazon Canada doesn’t have any decent options including carhartt but I might be able to order from the US

Kevin M
    BPL Member

@scottish_kev

I don’t know what the distribution will be like in your part of the world, but I’m a big fan of the gloves from The Heat Company…… https://www.theheatcompany.com/

Their “Heat 2” model is a lightweight, lined softshell convertible glove that I always throw in my bag for general 3 season conditions, super comfortable and handy.

However their main product is their 3 layer mix and match system that was originally developed for the Danish special forces. You can choose from various inner/liner gloves in different weights of merino or synthetic material, pair that with your choice of main glove body that come in softshell or leather, and then they do a matching waterproof over-mitt if you need it.

Its very mix and matchable, you can use different weights of liner as needed to suit the conditions (including your own existing ones if you already have some), and I already had the OR Revel shell mits so I use them as the waterproof over-mit rather than their one. But its a good, adaptable system for all different conditions.

All of their gloves can take heat pad (that they also sell) and along with the Heat 2 model they do a “Heat 3” which is basically this mix and match system already combined and sewn together into a single glove for those that aren’t looking to swap and change things all the time)

Alan W
    BPL Member

@at-reactor

I’ve used Glacier Glove Alaska River Flip Mitt when actively hiking Ouachita Trail in Jan & Feb with temps in teens and lots of green briars along trail.

https://glacieroutdoor.com/products/alaska-river-series-flip-mitt?_pos=1&_sid=912aff388&_ss=r

For less snaggy hiking or for colder or for idle in camp, the EE flip mitts already mentioned are my choice.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Kevin, thanks, the Heat Company distributes in Canada but they cost a lot of back bacon.   Are they truly highly breathable?  Use case for me is hard snowshoeing at very cold temps, where I’m perspiring heavily regardless the temps and high breathability is critical.

For example, the EE Torrids are tipped towards warmth and wouldn’t be near breathable enough for me.

Alan, thanks, same question on the Glacier Gloves, how breathable are they?  They show as “wind proof” and that’s almost impossible to accomplish along with high breathability, similar to the challenge of “WPB” gear.

I prefer a glove with very high breathability for the warmth then toss on a windproof overmitt when needed (rare).

If temps dip a lot lower than anticipated I toss a hot hands between the liner and the fleece outer if the mitt doesn’t have a pocket.  Not slick, but it works

Alan W
    BPL Member

@at-reactor

In cool to hot weather, I use GG Ascension Bay for sun and abrasion protection, not for warmth. When my clothes get sweaty, so do those fingerless gloves.

In cool to cold, I switch to GG Cold River fleece — if I want fingerless along on the hike, e.g., reading books on phone while in bed.

However, that heavier fleece fingerless has not been warm enough for me during cold winter morning hiking in OK, and so I went to the GG flip mitt version for the OT winter hiking.

I did not have problem with  the GG flip mitt getting sweaty despite neoprene palm and heavy fleece — on OT in Jan & Feb.  I do not recall for sure, but I think I left them flipped open midday on milder days. YMMV.

See also https://www.adventurealan.com/backpacking-glove-system/

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

When it’s warm, a lightweight cycling glove like the Castrelli Entrata functions better for me than a fishing glove.  It’s designed for high output activities and grabbing a handle bar so adds more palm protection in case of a fall without bunching up at the grip and has a fleece wipe for taking sweat off the brow.

As it cools, I graduate to heavier gloves.  First to a lightweight fleece, then a runners glove, followed by fleece flip mitt, and then add heavier grades of liner under the flip mitt as temps drop further.

Rain mitts on top below ~ -5C as needed.

I’ve never had much success with puffy (insulated) mitts like AA prefers.  I find that they don’t manage sweat that well.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@David what fleece flip mitts do you have? It seems most have finger-which would make them not useful in a modular system.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

@Brad, the pair I wore out was over a decade old and I have no idea the brand anymore.

They have half fingers and are very effective in a modular system.  I used them happily for many years but they’re thinning out.  I could run liners from thin silk up to neo tight-fit runners gloves or hiking gloves with no problems.  So this sort of glove exists (existed?).

I’m skeptical of anything advertised as windproof for high output activities like cutting snowshoe trails over elevation for a day.  If windproof is needed, I throw on an overmitt. Decathlon makes acceptable inexpensive overmitts and I’m expecting that hundreds of dollars isn’t needed to achieve this.

The best option for this sort of use case may be as Eric mentioned, Amazon.  The US site has options, but not Canada.  I may have to import but my experience is that international returns are a bit of a hassle if they don’t fit.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@David ok, so you are getting the flips mitts with size being based on fitting with under gloves on. My mistake. That sounds like a good plan.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California
    William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Montbell makes flip mits, but no heat pad pocket or palm protection.

Haakon R
    BPL Member

@aico

This is a Scandinavin brand, so I’m not sure if you can find them:
    https://www.craft.no/product/hybrid-weather-glove/?attribute_pa_color=silver-black&attribute_pa_size=6-xxs

It’s nothing special really, just stretchy fleece gloves with a windproof flip over mitt. But simplicity works. These are my go-to for medium to high intensity activities in the winter. Perfect for cross country skiing, but I also use them for hiking in the shoulder season (i.e. right now) as the weather can quickly turn to sour for just gloves. And being so simple, they pack quite small and light.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I made some fingerless mittens from fleece.

I tried making fingerless gloves, but found there was no reason to sew between the fingers.

And I put my hands in my pocket when I’m not using them.

I too have noticed my fingers are more sensitive to cold than they used to be.  Especially my right fore finger.

I think I have injured them by subjecting them to cold.  Not enough for frostbite or anything, but enough to effect circulation.

Don’t let your fingers get so cold they turn white and numb.

Just a theory.  I wonder if that’s true?

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

@Haakon, thanks, simplicity is important, I agree.  Nothing worse than fumbling with exposed digits at -30C.  @William, thanks, I’ll check around for reviews of the Montbell’s to see if they’re heavy enough; @jscott ditto for the Rabs, thanks!, but the windproof aspect may disqualify them for my use cases.

@Jerry
    , those are like the wristies I use at my desk that I mentioned experience with above.  About cold sensitivity, I can’t prove that it’s causal but I cold exposed one hand so bad that I couldn’t use it to take my boots off and its been cold sensitive ever since.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!