Topic

Looking for advice, sub zero camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for advice, sub zero camping

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tyler K
    BPL Member

@tkreis47

Hi, I have a trip planned this weekend and looking for suggestions on sleeping warm in -5f (windchill -30f) I don’t want to bring to much gear but don’t want to freeze. Here’s my options. Looking for suggestions on what to bring.
    -20 down bag 3lbs

20° quilt 20oz

50° quilt 15oz

20° Under quilt 25oz

Im using an xtherm max large and zlite pad.

Ive been down to 10f with the xtherm and -20 bag with base layers on was comfortable.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Go with the -20F bag. Sleeping bag is not where you want to be cutting weight in the winter. 1lb is hardly noticeable and certainly not worth sacrificing ones sleep. Suffering sucks. Take the bag and have a good time.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Plus one to what Garrett said. Taking just the bag will be so much less of a hassle than dealing with a two part fiddly system not meant to mate with each other.

I think the xtherm plus zlite is a fine pad system for those temps.

Tyler K
    BPL Member

@tkreis47

Thanks guys! Do I have to factor windchill temps when I’m in a tent? I’m using an Xmid 1. Probably leaving the inner at home.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I was out last week with the temp dropping to -2 (snotel site nearby) w/ a 20 degree down bag and a 50 degree Apex quilt.  I was fine, but it got a wee bit uncomfortable by morning.  I was anticipating temps around 10-15, which I would have been down right cozy.

If they are calling for -5 temps, it could easily turn into -10 (or more)- I would go the safe route and take the -20 bag :)

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Do I have to factor windchill temps when I’m in a tent?

Depends, can you pitch the fly to the ground? Silnylon is waterproof/wind proof, so as long as you don’t have drafts coming in through the bottom you should be fine.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Whut Garrett sed. Take the bag. Winter nights are not only cold they are L – O – N – G …

I have a nice -20 F. down bag and warm (5.3 R) insulated air mattress that makes my winter nights cozy – inside my TT Moment DW tent, that is.

Tyler K
    BPL Member

@tkreis47

Yes, I can pitch right to the ground other than needing some air movement to reduce condensation

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

In a stiff wind, you’ll get enough circulation of air through the tent even if you pitch it tight to the ground.

Wind chill describes the effect on bare skin. The more wind-proof your clothing, tent, or sleeping bag, the less effect it has.  Your exposed face would be effected and a loose sleeping bag hood would have more air exchange in the wind. Bring a buff or some covering for your face and a warm hat or hood for your head.

And, yeah, the -20F bag. That’s a no-brainer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!