Topic

Looking for a long-sleeve “fishing shirt” with a hood

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a long-sleeve “fishing shirt” with a hood

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Richard S
    BPL Member

@rlsimm123

I’ve found that long sleeve shirts like Patagonia’s Island Hopper or LL Bean’s Tropicwear work great for summer hiking & provide good bug protection.  They also work great in the rain when worn next to the skin under a waterproof/breathable rain jacket.  Does anyone know of a hoodie made of similar fabric?  I have sun hoodies which are much “hotter” and don’t help with bugs.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Maybe look at the Fjallraven Abisko sun hoodie. By far the best hiking hoodie I’ve owned. Not bug proof, but super deep hood, long thumbed sleeves, fast drying, and keeps cool. Hood brim will extend over a ball cap easily for more shade, and stays there. Will fit over a boonie hat too. 180g in size medium. Anything bug proof ‘ish seems to be heavier (hotter), has chemicals or no hood. YMMV

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West
    Richard S
    BPL Member

@rlsimm123

Thanks!

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
    SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Jolly Gear definitely fits this curve as long as your hip to clown colors ;) not everybody can walk that walk *chuckles..

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

*retracted.
    Looks like they are now offering better colors than they were before, like this one

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have that exact Jolly Gear shirt. I think it’s still pretty wild. The whole shirt is stretchy in case you are wondering about the fabric.

Ben W
    BPL Member

@wickett

The anetik and jolly gear are likely made in the same factory with the former omitting a collar + using simple colors.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

You’re a brave one Diane : ) Different strokes for different folks as they say. I was actually interested in getting one of theirs last year until I saw the color selection and changed my mind. I like the new solid sage color they’re now offering. Good to know on the stretchiness. Is it woven or knitted fabric?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

That Jolly Gear shirt is uber-groovy! Now if someone would invent bell bottom hiking pants.

and no, I really mean I like the shirt. On someone else. I’m more of a cautious single color guy.

Haakon R
    BPL Member

@aico

For some reason sun shirts (and sun protective clothing in general) are hard to come by here in Norway. OK.. we also don’t have a lot of sun, but that also translates to sensitive skin and high risk of sun burn and the long term risks related to that.
    Anyhow, the Abisko sun hoodie made by the rather local Scandinavian brand Fjällräven is one of the easiest sun hoodies to get hold of. I managed to try one or two others, but the Abisko was far and away the one I liked the most.
    With the caveat that I lack experience with other shirts, I really like and recommend this shirt.
    Though I realize the other shirts mentioned are more in line with what the OPs requesting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!