Topic

Looking for a high CFM wind vest or jacket with removable sleeves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a high CFM wind vest or jacket with removable sleeves

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adam Sloan
    BPL Member

@duelle

Locale: Great Lakes

I’ve gotten into running recently and coming from a UL background want to get a decent wind vest (as in one that will actually breathe). I’ve been using my Rab Zephyr (about 70 CFM), but still overheat easily and would like to get a vest so my arms/shoulders/pits can dump heat while my core stays warm. I haven’t been able to find any tests of running vests and don’t want to spend $100 on something that’s probably <5 CFM. I also noticed some cycling jackets with removable sleeves but once again, no CFM tests to be found. I’m surprised there isn’t any talk about this in the running/cycling community.

Anyway, if no one knows anything I was considering commissioning someone to make a vest out of Argon90 or Argon67 as I don’t have a sewing machine.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

The  answer will tend to depend on the conditions in which you are running and the level of effort you are putting forth.  If you are new to running you are probably learning that with a reasonable level of effort you will generate a whole lot of heat and be comfortable in very cold temperatures with relatively little clothing.  I don’t think I would focus on breathability in a wind shell because a runner can easily overwhelm the capabilities of any wind shell. Rather, I would look for garments that permit easy accommodation to temperature, wind and level of effort while you are running.

For winter running, typically, I use a Gore wind stopper bike vest and wind stopper arm warmers.   I wear a long sleeve base layer. I wear light weight leg warmers beneath my running shorts. When I start getting warm, I simply unzip the vest and lower the arm warmers to expose my arms. I wear a mid weight stocking cap. I find that removable arm warmers and a full length vest zipper works wonders once I am warmed up.  This works for me down to about 15oF. as long as there is little or no wind.  For long runs and especially runs with substantial climbing, I wear a waist camelback and can remove and stow clothing if I get too hot.

Components will vary as winds increase.

I don’t think there is a single answer to your question.  In winter aerobic sports, you must vary your garments to accommodate temperature, wind and level of effort.  I would experiment with different combinations of garments as temperatures, wind and level of effort changes.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

what CFM are you looking for in a wind vest

Adam Sloan
    BPL Member

@duelle

Locale: Great Lakes

Anywhere from 35 to 70

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!