Topic

Lightweight mountaineering boot with a wide toe box?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight mountaineering boot with a wide toe box?

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Ah! They came out with a newer version. Web page has been updated since a few days ago. They only had a couple small sizes in the one I was speaking about. Not there now.

My initial question about backpacking was in reference to the variable terrain you would experience in hunting and light mountaineering verses a common backpacking trip and whether or not in your opinion these boots crossed both borders or were really just a pair of boots you would reserve for your hunting/backpacking trips due to the heavier load hauls steeper terrains and boggier locations you would encounter.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Also, is it correct that the GTX liner only comes up over the toe and partially up the sides and ankle? No coverage on the tongue with the Thors? Or is that a misconception of a reviewer?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Two reasons I choose boots over trail runners for hunting- often a lot of steep sidehilling which with trail runners suck, occasionally I kill something :) and with +/- 100 lbs require boots in my experience

the goretex is a bonus if conditions are wet or cold, the gore liner definitely keeps my feet warmer- the reason I never use “waterproof” boots outside of cool to cold weather

I’d be surprised if the gore lining didn’t come into the tongue, but I guess it’s possible

I think these boots could be used outside of hunting for sure, but it’s possible there may be lighter options ie stouter “approach” shoes???

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

I never said anything about using trail runners for hunting, that would seem silly. For backpacking, of course there are lighter options, like trail runners. I’m not debating one to the next or trying to start an argument by any means. But the OP was looking for a light mountaineering boot and I was curious if this one fit the bill for you as well as for hunting. No need for response as it was just meandering conversation that seems to have been taken incorrectly. No offense meant. I used to own a pair of Garmont Tower Treks that had a GTX liner and the membrane went into the tongue in some proprietary way. The boot fit like a glove absolutely waterproof, even after stepping through muck, slush, snow and water over the ankles throughout the day. At 3lbs for the pair, I considered them lightweight for the alpine mountainous hell I was using them in. The reason I am also looking for the same thing the OP is, was because I got rid of these. Wish I never had. When you mentioned the Crispi’s I’d never heard of it and checked them out. Was just curious your input. Thanks for the advise

Al G
    BPL Member

@alg

Check out Alico Summit or Guide boots. Made in Italy. Can find them online. Recommend vendor out of Colorado.  Support wide toe box. Leather inside-outside. No Goretex or nylon liners. Replaceable vibram sole. Plenty of good reviews on Youtube.

Whites custom boots makes hunting boots also worth checking, made in Italy.

Personally, it’s so infrequent the I will need one, that I will rent from REI or climbing store like RMI at Mt Rainier.

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!