Topic

Lightweight fleece

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight fleece

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

I’m looking for a good lightweight fleece layer for the evenings in camp during the spring and summer months. There is so much hype over hoodies. I’m not really looking for a hoodie, but more of a pullover , half zip up the neck layer in fleece. I recently bought a Patagonia R1 pullover, which I really like, but may be a bit over kill and at almost 12 oz for a large  , a bit heavy. What do you’ll like to wear for around basecamp after a long hike ?

Thanks for your in put !!!

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The North Face TKA 1/4 zip is quite warm and very affordable. Mine is just under 8 ounces in size large according to my scale.

David C
    Spectator

@dosenfeld

I’ve been collecting lightweight fleece options for when I need to replace mine, here’s my list. Not sure if all are still available.

Kuiu – Peleton 97 Fleece Zip T – 4.5oz – $89 USD

Decathalon – Quechua MH100 Hiking Fleece – 7.4 oz – $20 USD

North Face – TKA Glacier Snap Neck – 7.40z – $60 USD

Arcteryx – Delta LT Zip Neck – 7.8oz – $115 USD

Mountain Hardware – Men’s Microchill 2.0 Zip T-shirt — 4.8oz — $55 USD

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Assuming you wear at least a lightweight merino or synth base. Have the Kuiu Peloton, enjoy it well intoq 50s, then it needs a shell (but great for cold weather sleeping). Montbell Chameese is a step warmer, into the 40s, similar to TNF TKA. Diff is Kuiu breathes better than TKA/Chameese. Not tried Mtn Hrdwr Air Mesh but appears between breathability of Kuiu and Pilartec Alpha.</p>

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

So have a Patagonia XL grid fleece top with zip at the neck that is well under 12 oz.  Perhaps they made some changes.  But also carry a synthetic puffy top from BPL bought years ago because it is around 1/2 lb.  When it comes to staying warm and dry, guess I’m not quite as sensitive to weight penalties as some others.   Don’t mind a base weight just under 20 lbs.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

Several years ago, CostCo had a Kirkland-branded lightweight Polartec pullover. A Large is 8.8 oz. No longer available, but you might look for one on PoshMark. Also take a look at the Enlightened Equipment Torrid. My hoodless jacket, 10 denier outside, 7 denier inside is 7.9 oz and $175. They also make a pullover that weighs a little less.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

If you go North Face TKA look for older TKA 100 on ebay. It’s better quality fleece than current TKA that wears and pils incredibly fast.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

My frame of reference comes from a Arcteryx Leaf Naga hoody (a relative of the Delta but in stealth green), Kuiu Peloton 97 1/4 zip, and a Macpac Nitro.

The Arcteryx is too heavy for its warmth, so is only used ‘around town’ or front country. Although its the best all around piece, it just isnt light enough at ~12oz (Full zip, size L, with hood)

The Kuiu is great and the most versatile and ‘normal looking’ of the high performance fleeces. It breathes well, dries fast, and is warm for its weight. I use it as a cold weather sleeping layer, as its the same weight as a merino 120 T shirt but warmer. Its normal enough you can wear it into town and not look weird.

The Macpac nitro is the warmest of the bunch. If I wear it as a base layer and put my Merino 120 long sleeve over it (to block wind/trap warmth) this combo is good for summertime temps down to the 50’s. The alpha 90 fleece is significantly warmer that the Peloton at the same weight, but that is only true if there is zero wind (as in not even a walking speed wind) or you have an outer layer to break the wind.

My buddy just got the new Patagonia AirShed Fleece? or whatever their new one is that replaced the R series. He loves it. Its 6oz in XL and a 50/50 merino/poly blend, which is a great combo of warns IME. I cant comment on warmth. It looks ‘almost normal’ as its a continuous weave, but has a wavy texture to it

If you’re out for absolute warmth-to-weight, Stephen’s article shows that a dual layer alpha 60 fleece had the highest W:W of any fleece. That would need to be custom ordered from timmer, farpointe, vado, etc.

If I could only have 1 UL fleece overall, it would be the Kuiu because it hits a sweet spot of warm, comfortable, light, and borderline normal looking. Also it does not snag on EVERYTHING like alpha direct since its a continous woven fabric (God help you if Alpha and Velcro hooks meet)

If I was trying not to bring a Puffy and only bring a fleece for summer temps, I would choose an Alpha Direct product like the Macpac Nitro or other 90gsm or 2x60gsm. Anthough it requires being more careful, looking nerdy, and requiring a wind breaking layer to retain any warmth at all, it excels at breathability and W:W, thus fueling the hype train.

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

Thank all of you for the helpful suggestions !! It seems the Kulu is highly recommended , so I ordered the Kulu Peloton half zip . Pricey !!! but seems incredibly light for the warm . I’ll let you know my thoughts on it when I have a chance to try it out !

Indrit S
    BPL Member

@grivola79

I just bought today a Rap Alpha Flash…(thank you Stephen!)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!