Topic

Lightweight Backpacking Gear for Mountain Travel (Case Study)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Backpacking Gear for Mountain Travel (Case Study)

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Re: Patagonia provisions, have you had good luck cooking in bag, or bringing water to a boil/dumping in contents/letting sit? Or do you find you have to simmer? I had the chili and liked it, but seemed like it really needed simmering for the beans to soften up fully. Thinking about trying more, but looking for experience before shelling out.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have never used Patagonia provisions, but I have used a few other brands. I suspect, due to the drying process, that you will ALWAYS need to do just a little simmering to get the food really rehydrated. So? That’s fine by me.
    Also search on ‘dutch oven’ here at BPL.
    Cheers

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have tried Patagonia’s Tsampa Soup. It is absolutely delicious and it definitely requires some simmering.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Had this meal for three of us two weeks ago on our packrafting trip to Isle Royal National Park. Did not simmer (used a cozy) with NO leftovers!!

0.9 lbs Total Weight of Meal and 486 cal/serving

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ken –

If I’m interpreting your post correctly –

0.9 lbs x 16 oz/lb  =14.4 ounces for Three servings which comes to 4.8 oz per serving, and

486 calories/ 4.8 ounces = 101.25 calories per ounce

…. right?

Did you add the Goldfish and/or the cheese to the chile? Or eat them separately?

Did you add the peppermint bark to the chili (peppermint molé?) or treat it like dessert?

(I’m scrutinizing my meals, adapting whatever seems useful.)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I had the pata red beans and rice. Cant cook in the bag for lack of volume. I let mine boil for 2 min (one min was recommended) and simmer for like 15-20 before it was fully rehydrated… beans. The flavor was ahite.  Almost ate the whole thing even after snacks. IMO not enough for two for dinner.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

So I missed in the article, why are you fasting? I skimmed the article and watched the video, but you didn’t really discuss the reasons for doing this. You look plenty slim to me. Is it some new fad, like keto or something?

My son worked as a barista at Starbucks this summer. He tells me many customers come in and order “keto” coffee. They don’t have this as a product, so he suggests black coffee! Sugar free.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

The tent reminds me of one i bought a long long time ago made by Todd Bibler.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Ryan, thanks for posting this trip and the gear list. It’s great to see you with your kids on a backing trip.

As for that tent…

Well, in the ’80s I had likely one of the very first wedge tents, a Jansport. I hated how it let rain and snow in as soon as I unzipped the door. To me this type of door is a “failed design”. Re-designing the door with a single or double strut bar holding a canopy over the door is the best answer. I had a 3 man Eureka dome tent that used two struts to hold a canopy over the door that very well protected it and the inside of the tent. Elegant solution.

Eric B.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I found the SOLE heat moldable insole is amazing for keeping me from getting blisters on the ball of my foot and toes. NEVER had blisters there after getting these insoles. They come in 3 thicknesses. I use the thinnest version.

I’ll get some Body Glide ointment and try it on my feet. Thanks for the tip.

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@ludwigk

Will there be a full review on the Djedi?  If one puts cost aside for a moment, could this tent be used anywhere in all environments or is just a mountaineering shelter?

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!