Topic

How to remove IMUSA Casserole (Fry Pan) handle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How to remove IMUSA Casserole (Fry Pan) handle?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jorge Villalobos
    BPL Member

@minusfive

Wondering if any of you have successfully removed the IMUSA fry pan’s handle, how did you do it? Talking about this one (here you can see the back of it).

Thought I’d ask before I end-up accidentally stabbing myself ;^)

Jorge Villalobos
    BPL Member

@minusfive

Done did it! And I didn’t impale myself, happy to report.

Basically just put a flat-head screw driver between the plastic part of the handle and the metallic clip, and pried it off. The plastic part broke off, but gave me enough clearance to re-insert the screw driver at different points and pry the clamps a bit to remove the plastic pieces left.

The lid handle is just screwed on, so it was easy to remove as well.

For the curious:

• Plastic handle piece = 27.1g (0.96oz)
    • Pan with metal handle clip still attached = 102.9g (3.63oz)
    • Lid handle = 19g (0.67oz)
    • Lid (sans handle) = 66.8g (2.36oz)
    • So Pan + Lid w/o handles = 169.7g (5.99oz)
    • Pan + Lid with handles (old weight) = 215.8g (7.61oz)

I left the clip on so I can use it to attach some kind MYOG wire handle later. I’ll probably end-up replacing the lid with an MYOG aluminum to shave more weight.

Follow-up question: what’s a good cord/material to make a lid handle from? My main concern is it possibly melting onto food.

HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

Locale: Directorate X

A piece of wire would work for a non-melty lid handle. Another piece of wire could be used as a hook to lift it, if a tent peg wasn’t available.

A machine screw with a wing nut used to be available on Fry-Bake lids. Simple & light, but you’ll need something to protect your fingertips.

R
    Spectator

@autox

Aluminum tape is popular for pot lid handles.

HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

Locale: Directorate X

I’m not sure how well aluminum tape would work on a larger, heavier lid, but it’s worth a try. This is the OP’s pan & lid.

Jorge Villalobos
    BPL Member

@minusfive

Yeah, I might just replace it with an MYOG Al lid from a disposable baking pan (+ Al tape handle) to cut more weight. 2.63oz for the original lid seems too heavy.

Thanks y’all!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!