Topic

Hip Belt Adapter for Zpacks Arc packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hip Belt Adapter for Zpacks Arc packs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Hi All,

I finally whipped up a hip belt adapter for my Zpacks Arc Haul. Love the pack…except for the hip belt. It’s fine with light loads, but anything above quick overnighter weights and it starts to sag/collapse. My total pack weight is usually in the high teens for an overnighter, and 26-28 lbs at the start of a week-long trip. I prefer as much load transfer to my hips as possible. The rest of the pack does an excellent job of transferring weight to the hip belt, but the hip belt itself is just not in the same league.

The adapter attaches to the Zpacks frame the same way the OEM hip belt does – by sliding onto the bottom horizontal stay. On the other side is a velcro “clam shell” to attach to the new hip belt – I went with an old school Six Moon Designs Universal hip belt (which I think is pretty much the same as what they now list as a Standard hip belt). In theory it could accommodate any hip belt from SMD, ULA, or any other company that uses the two-sided velcro attachment (I think Atom Packs hip belts attach like this too but haven’t confirmed).

My goals with this mod were increased comfort and improved load transfer. Based on some short walks around the ‘hood, I am happy to report a massive improvement in both. Hip belt collapse is non-existent and I don’t have to cinch it down nearly as much to keep it from sliding down. I really like the design of the SMD hip belt – the ergonomic cut, rigid plastic backing, and 4-point buckle system work very well together to create a belt that carries weight with considerably more comfort. Can’t wait to try it on an actual backpacking trip!

The only downside is the small weight gain. Zpacks hip belt + pockets + MYOG lumbar pad = 8.5 oz. SMD hip belt + adapter = 13 oz. So, a 4.5 oz gain…UL blasphemy! ;)  WELL worth it, possibly the best 4.5 oz I’ve added to my pack.

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

Great project

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Beautiful.  The hip belt is definitely the load carrying limiting factor on the Arc Haul. Please let us know how much you can comfortably carry with the upgrade.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Nicely done!

Charles S
    BPL Member

@cstump2

This is exactly what I am looking for. Love the my Zpacks Arc Haul, but after many weeks of overnights and bumping my load right up to 30lbs, I am not loving the hip belt.

Can you share the specs for making this? Are you interested in making more of these and selling them?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice!  You’ve got me thinking now.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Looks nice, but I’ve never had any trouble with the hip belt on my Arc Haul. To be fair, I am notoriously un-picky about gear.

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

Me neither ( never had trouble). I’ve got  a 2012 Arc Blast in my collection, presumably the same harness as the Haul, with the lumbar pad option. Really comfortable pack, never even have to adjust the straps for days on end.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

This is interesting, great concept and implementation!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Found years ago that with loads over 20 pounds, side arms totally eliminate slippage, and there is zero pressure on the belly because the belt does not buckle at the front.

Have posted about earlier models, but have been working on one with much lighter sidearms, made with .340″ curved aluminum alloy tubing.  Will post when complete.  The inspiration came from seeing a kid riding piggy back (a lot heavier than 20 lbs.)  And greatly improved enjoyment of backpacking.  There have been sidearm packs, but none that adjust the tightness of the arms around the torso with just a couple buckles on the arms, even while still walking.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!