Topic

Hiking vs regular umbrellas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking vs regular umbrellas

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Khris R
    BPL Member

@khrisrino

This is my Euroschirm Swing Liteflex. The silvering is starting to rub off but it’s essentially indestructible and only 8.5 oz. I mostly use it for photography in rain and it’s been through some really tough conditions. It also worked really well for hot weather trips to Death Valley and around Las Vegas.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

Today: 22C/72F, 90% humidity, 3-5 mph wind (measured), heavy rain.

36″ umbrella hat was as comfortable as it is possible to be in 90% humidity. I’m sold on the concept, although I still seek a higher quality hat. Montbell Umbreros look nice but are not currently in stock (and are much smaller).

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I like looking up. Especially on uphills. I find anything  over a 3.5” brim is too much. I get tunnel vision.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

Shrug, maybe it’s not for you then.

On the other hand, it is much easier to look up with the hat than with an umbrella attached to a pack.

hillnaut
    BPL Member

@hillnaut

Locale: Central Massachusetts

@billbudney, the shaft on the Victorinox umbrella is 19″. It’s short, but I like to keep the canopy just over my head (low), so I’ve never had an issue with the length. You are correct though, if you’ve got a pack that extends above your head, then this isn’t the right umbrella for you.

hillnaut
    BPL Member

@hillnaut

@akgranola, that’s right, umbrella in one hand and trekking pole in the other. I always carry just one trekking pole. If you carry two, you could use one of those mini bungee cord locks on your backpack strap, but the shaft on this umbrella is only 19″ so that might be difficult. Besides, you’ll definitely want to be able to maneuver the umbrella when you walk. Once you get used to it, you’ll wonder how you got along without it. You can push away brush (especially wet brush), remove spider webs on narrow footpaths, hold it against the back of your head over your shoulder as a bug shield, adjust it to changing winds, etc. If it was locked in place on my pack strap, I’m certain I’d get far less usage out of it.

hillnaut
    BPL Member

@hillnaut

@davidd, the canopy on the Victorinox umbrella is 39″ measured across the spines. As others have mentioned, it’s not going to work for everyone. If you have a tall pack or use two trekking poles, I’d probably go with another solution. For the kind of hiking I do, trails I frequent, and weather I encounter, this has really improved my quality of life on the trail.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!