Topic

Granite Gear Crown2 60 Gear Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Granite Gear Crown2 60 Gear Review

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    James Montavon
    BPL Member

@ct_jmonty-2

Companion forum thread to: Granite Gear Crown2 60 Gear Review

The Granite Gear Crown2 60 is a 60 liter capacity internal frame backpack that carries up to about 35 pounds comfortably and weights around 2.1 to 2.5 pounds.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

A spot on description of the Crown2 60. Only two caveats for me: I never had any discomfort issues with the hipbelt. Also I have always used both the 60l and the 38l without the frame sheet with no issues, but I seldom carry more than 22/23 pounds. On the 60 I simply made sure the compression straps were snugged up. Like you I haven’t used the top lid. I have about 600 miles on the 60l and about 500 on the now defunct 38l. For me the biggest issue with the 60l is it’s too big for most of my hiking unless I’m expecting to carry more cold weather gear. This or the Crown3 are pretty good packs at a great price for people to get into UL style hiking. I’ve since started using an Atom+ pack from Atom packs, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use the Crown2 if needed. But I do hate the buckle on the sternum strap!!

James Montavon
    BPL Member

@ct_jmonty-2

Sounds like we have very similar experience with the Crown60, BJ. It’s starting to snow here today, which is often when I switch from my smaller pack (Zerk 40) to my Crown60. I might look into replacing that sternum strap buckle, it’s especially frustrating for my use in the winter months when I’m wearing gloves.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

As noted above, it’s a good entry point into the lightweight category while buying from a mass market manufacturer at a low price point. It used to be that you could even buy it at REI, although I guess those days are gone.

And if you eventually move on to lighter and lower volume packs, it’s still a good option for off-season training walks around your local hilly neighborhood with a weighted pack. It’s bombproof so you’ll have it forever, and it’s super comfy with lots of padding, so it’s a good way to avoid unnecessary wear-and-tear on lightweight packs.

LISA M
    BPL Member

@dogwoodhikerchic

Accurate review, however I switched back to Granite gear after trying the Marposa/Zpack equivalents. The Mariposa 60 what a joke (its a 38l usable space, lets be honest here). The Granite gear pack is under rated in my opinion. When you encounter another one on trail it’s like a jeep wave from those who know 🤣 and your instant tramily! It carries gear and canister like a dream. My full pack wet weight is 27lbs for 7day/6night adventures. I love knowing that I can pack for 14days without issue just adding 8lbs more food. For a long haul, this bag is amazingđź‘Ź!!! Ps…my 70yr old mom carried this bag 60mi in CO and 85mi in NC..yeah, it’s that good!

David M
    BPL Member

@cledmartin

I bought the Crown2 60 this past spring via the BPL gear swap as part of my lightening journey.  After a few short trips with Scouts I figured out what straps etc I didn’t need and cut them off.   Most of the time I use it without the frame sheet or the lid and it weighs in at about 29oz.

I carried it without the frame sheet for a 5 day trip to NM that included some of my kids’ gear and food for a max of 32 lbs and it was fine.

Just buy it from the Granite Gear site.   About every other month they put them on sale for $99.   I just bought my daughter one for a Xmas present.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!