Topic

GGG 2023 Gathering of Gear Geeks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips GGG 2023 Gathering of Gear Geeks

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Glen, I was referring to “Thanks for all the great info and sources” in your post.

Some amazing stories, and all were entertaining.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks David for the correction.  Timely because I was going to give it a try in the next day after I picked up the propane.

Stick with the small propane canister.  Fill from my larger propane tank.  Got it.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I watched a video of someone trying this propane canister and they found their regulated stove would not work at room temps because of the higher canister pressure.   When they put the canister in the freezer for a bit it worked fine. I guess having a unregulated stove might be a good idea unless it’s guaranteed to be cold enough. I also read somewhere that the propane is pretty “dirty” which is why the canister includes tip cleaner(?).  It sounded great for a refilling and pushing it in the cold, but there seem to be trade offs.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Thanks posting that video Ethan. Just watched it. What a blast!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I had a great time!

Got to meet some new people, connect with a few who I had not met in person but had communications with over the years, and finally to catch up with some old friends.

Not a large crowd, which was a blessing. Instead of at lot of time spent discussing gear, there was ample time to share other hobbies and interests, careers, home life, goals and aspirations, and other very interesting stuff. Conclusion: we aren’t just backpackers, but a diverse and interesting group of individuals.

Glen Van Peski
    BPL Member

@gvanpeski

Locale: San Diego

Ah, David… some of the books were previously mentioned.  I had extensive discussions about an Alaska adventure and the forms that might take with Peter V., and the idea of a ‘shopping diet’ with Mark Verber intrigued me.  I wish I had taken more notes, but I have updated contact info, which is almost as good, maybe better!  Thanks for all the work to put this together.  Oh, and here’s the picture with Ranger Manny, with his venerable G$ that he still uses…

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!