Topic

Getting lucky beats being good

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Getting lucky beats being good

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

After two solo backpacking trips as a volunteer in Desolation Wilderness, I managed to convince my lovely wife to join me in the mountains for a couples trip. It didn’t take much. She’s a big fan of the Sierra and of backpacking, as long as the latter isn’t too strenuous.

We’ve been to lots of places in the Sierra, and we always like to try something new. That can present challenges, especially when she requests that we not climb too high, and not drive too far.

Hmmm.

I was able to get a permit for Lyell Canyon in Yosemite–not bad, on such short notice–and from there we can explore the Kuna Crest, which we’ve never done before, or Ireland Lake, for that matter. All good. And the night before, we’ll spend at one of the backpacker’s campgrounds in Yosemite.

Snag. The backpacker’s campground in Tuolumne Meadows, along with the rest of the campground, is closed. So, too, for White Wolf. That meant our options were either Yosemite Valley, which is way off our route, or Hetch-hetchy, which is…also way off our route.

I went on recreation.gov to see what might be available off Highway 120 above Groveland–but found only first come first served sites–and that usually means getting up very early in the morning in the hopes of finding a spot. And nothing guaranteed.

Then I checked the newly refurbished Crane Flat campground–I’d checked it days earlier, and it was booked solid. But maybe…

YES! There was one site available. I booked it, complete with senior discount, for $18. And now we have a guaranteed night at high elevation the day before our trip. Sometimes being lucky it all it takes!

Mark Messonnier
    BPL Member

@qzm3

“Getting lucky beats being good” sounds like a good title for a future novel!  Currently enjoying “Vertical Exposure.”

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Thanks Mark!  I just got the latest one, Grave Concerns, listed on Amazon!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

That possible title has a delicious sexual innuendo as well. As an often solo backpacker,  I’ve sometimes found myself fantasizing…oh never mind! I love the trees, the birds, coyotes howling at night. Like me.

I’ve always counted on being lucky AND good when it comes to reservations out of Tuolumne. Tuolumne is the most straightforward place for me in terms of  high country, except for Desolation wilderness, etc. I find the country out of Tuolumne far more extraordinary and worth the extra hour and a half drive. Arriving before noon at the 120 entrance to Yosemite, there’s a ranger station that issues permits. The  rangers there got to know me and that I carried a bear canister. I was solo. Most  often I’d get into a trailhead the same day and be off. Being lucky, good and knowing how things work–and being low or no maintenance out on the trail–works wonders.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

I agree.  The two of us rarely have a problem with permits…and we’re in the system in Yosemite often enough–that seems to help. And going mid-week also helps.  But campgrounds are a whole ‘nother question.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

And going mid-week also helps.  But campgrounds are a whole ‘nother question.f

Yes. I forgot to mention that I would go mid or late week–never friday through Sunday. /and, psst..there’s a backpackers campground at tuolumne. in a pinch, no reservation required.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

“Psst.”  The backpackers’ campground in Tuolumne Meadows has been closed for two years.  It won’t open this summer.  The one in White Wolf MAY open later this summer, but it’s not ready yet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!