Topic

Garmin inReach Messenger Plus Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Garmin inReach Messenger Plus Review

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to: Garmin inReach Messenger Plus Review

The Garmin inReach Messenger Plus can send short text, photo and audio messages, weighs 4.1 ounces and has an MSRP of $500.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I read about this technology. Sharing photos with S&R is a big jump.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

1-the cost is too high. $500? 2-It’s a matter of time before Apple and Android adopt this and you are able to send/receive pics over satellite. 3. Why do we need to be so connected? Can’t these photos/voice memos wait until you are within cell phone range-which in the US, is almost everywhere now. Long term, out of country trips I could see some use in a medical situation, but other than that, no.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I wait until I get into wifi range

I pay $15 per month for 2 phones with 1G of data from xfinity

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@Jerry that is an incredible price! How is your coverage?

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Note that the authors of the review have not actually tested this device. I would like to see reviews of actual use and specifically just how long it takes to transmit one of those large photo files. Thinking that just getting a connection that will allow that much data could take a long time…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

My coverage is fine.  When I’m going to the wilderness I can text or phone my wife before I leave cell phone range.  It may be worse coverage than some other carriers.

Another thing is if you’re near a wifi router with xfinity, you can connect to that.  Like, whenever I go by a Les Scwabb.  Or the pub I go out to eat at.  I can surf the web without having to use my 1G of data.

Occasionally I think I’m on the xfinity wifi, but I’m actually using data.  It quickly eats up that 1G of data.  I have it notify me when I go past 0.5G so that shouldn’t happen.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@smortimer2000

It seems Garmin has changed their subscription plans starting today as well.  No more annual plans.  Monthly only and you can no longer suspend your service.  Just reduce it to a $7.99/month SOS only plus pay-as-you-go for other features.  You can stay grandfathered into your annual plan as long as you don’t change the level.  If you update your InReach Message app, it will tell you all about it.

Frequently Asked Questions on September 2024 inReach Consumer Subscription Plan Changes

New InReach Service Plans

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@Stephen M well the plan change really stinks. Thanks for letting us know.

Megan W
    BPL Member

@meganwillingbigpond-com

Thanks Stephen M,

Those plan changes will probably work better for me 🙃

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@Ryan Jordan. I appreciate all of the in depth information on this device, but I feel this comes across as an infomercial for the product. I know you don’t take sponsorships or compensation from products you review, but it really feels like a paid spot. The video and copy seems to just be rehearsed ad copy. It seems to lack the unbiased critical eye I have come to appreciate from your reviews. I don’t mean any of this as insult, just the sense I get on this review.

Charlie Brenneman
    BPL Member

@cwbrenneman

Locale: Primarily Desolation Wilderness, Yosemite, and SEKI

How much juice can you get with the reverse charge on these messenger devices? With the excellent battery life of phones/watches/headlamps these days, I am wondering if I need a battery bank even for a 4-5 day trip. I only use the inreach 1 for messages a few times a day and that old model does ok for that time, my coros watch easily lasts that whole time, the iphone probably could too if I am not using caltopo that much, and a headlamp only gets 30-45 minutes a night max.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!