Topic

Fire Season

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues Fire Season

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

SONORA, Calif. — In an effort to provide for public safety and protect natural resources, the Stanislaus National Forest has implemented temporary fire restrictions in areas designated as high fire hazard areas. This order goes into effect July 1, 2022 and will be in place until Dec. 31, 2022. The Forest has decided to enter High Fire Hazard fire restrictions based on predicted weather conditions, historic drought conditions and limited availability of firefighting resources from federal agencies and our state partners has resulted in the need for restricting potential fire causing activities of persons in the High Fire Hazard Area.

“Protecting our natural resources is at the core of what we do,” said Acting Forest Supervisor, Beth Martinez. “Additionally, public safety is top of mind in all our efforts. With that, I have decided to implement these fire restrictions to help protect our forest and everyone who enjoys recreating there.”

These restrictions are believed to be the most immediate and effective method to reduce the potential for loss of life and property, and to protect the physical, biological, and cultural resources of the forest from fire.

The full order is available on the Stanislaus National Forest website with maps of the impacted areas under fire restrictions. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd1040192.pdf

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Interesting, but what ARE the restrictions?

I will guess ‘no wood fires anywhere’, but what else?
    No alky stoves?
    No stoves that do not have an ‘off switch’ (ie valve)?

Cheers

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Roger, you not being American can’t guess the most critical of these bans – no discharging a firearm! Downright unAmerican. Someone in my neighborhood was firing an AR-15 last night. Good times living in a tinder box forest! And someone down the street on July 4 was shooting off bottle rockets. My husband went down and had words with the guy. The dude didn’t know fireworks were banned right now, and didn’t have any idea that there is a fire danger. We are choking on thick smoke from all the wildfires around. Not sure what happened to his brains.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I’m always curious about ultra-light alcohol stove regulations. It seems to be a bit of a gray area, but overall I get the sense that they are not allowed in a Stage 2 Fire Ban area (Colorado terminology) because they don’t have valves, and hence must be “put out” instead of “turned off”.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yeah, not in America. Safe from AR15s (and AK47s).
    And home use of fireworks here is now banned as well. There were some accidents.

Apart from the fact that alky stoves don’t have an ‘off switch’, the fuel can be spilt and the flames are invisible in the daytime. There have been incidents where users did not even know there was a spreading alky fire beside his burner.

Cheers

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

That’s exactly right, Roger.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!