Topic

Field Notes: Curry and Fire

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Field Notes: Curry and Fire

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Field Notes: Curry and Fire

A curry dinner explodes during this overnight trek inspired by a winter storm warning.

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

So lesson learned:

1 – Don’t store liquids inside your jacket or

2 – Always double check that liquid containers are properly closed…

I always appreciate a frank and honest report. Thanks!

Mark

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Melanzana beanie.
    I’ve been using one from Brynje. It has a rolled hem and it’s tall enough to pull it down low while it has a seam to hold it above your eyes. Tight weave merino wool with what I guess is micro mesh as a liner.

I agree the alpha over the mesh feels amazing. You almost have to cover the alpha to protect it, at which point it can start to get warm. Ideally, perhaps another layer of mesh over the alpha to protect it.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thank you for the enjoyable post to start 2024.  I can’t imagine what it was like to wear your dinner like that.  I had a friend on a trip a number of years ago whom I specifically told to “shake, but NEVER upside down” the MH meal we were sharing for dinner.  He was playing around and the zip opened, dumping our entire meal into the pine duff!  Once it cooled I stuffed it (and a lot of pine needles) back into the MH bag, put it in another bag, and let him carry it out the next two days as a reminder.  I now carry a PackitGourmet coozie – it’s a couple extra ounces, but I use it to carry my first-night steaks in and then have it for my FD meals the rest of the trip.

K. Urs Grütter, LL.M.
    BPL Member

@charly13muri-be-ch

Locale: Switzerland

Typical application of Murphy’s Law.  A not so necessary risk taken with the curry bag, and there you are. Glad it looks like it did not have any serious consequences… Cheers, Urs

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

Great trip report Ryan, thank you for sharing and Happy New Year!

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Thanks for the funny story (at least to me) and the beautiful photos. It seems that no matter how many nights you’ve spent in the wilderness, there is always something else that can happen … new types of gear failures (or gear left behind), unexpected injuries, spilled food, dog vomit in the tent, etc. It’s interesting to hear how people improvise solutions.

I appreciate your measuring the temperature difference inside the tent as part of the review you were preparing. I’ve never measured temperature when camping or during outdoor activities, because I always figured that the only thing that really mattered was my own perception of being hot or cold. However, now I’m thinking that maybe it could be useful to have those data. I will have to search old threads for thermometer recommendations.

Jason McGrath
    BPL Member

@pnwruddyman

I loved this. Nice to see that this kind of thing happens to other people too :) I’m eyeing that tent or the single wall so all the data was helpful.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

@Dan – I have the AcuRite Digital Thermometer and it works well.  Put the battery in at noon and you’ll have the high and low temp for the last 24 hours (and not have to remember to look at it first thing in the morning).  I’ve found that it’s really nice to know how cold it reached overnight to tell me how my sleep system performed.  I started carrying it after one of those mornings where I had to ask myself:  “I was kinda cold last night in this quilt – I wonder how cold it actually was.”  We had a trip two years ago that was supposed to get down to the low 30’s and it hit 18!  We all had frozen water so I’m pretty sure the thermometer was accurate.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Many thanks for the recommendation, Kevin.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Great read.  Trips where things go wrong aren’t always the most fun at the time, but they always make the best stories after the fact!

I was surprised by the 9*F difference in temperature between the outside air and inside the tent.  I would not have thought a mesh inner tent would have made that much difference.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have the same Acurite thermometer as Kevin and can vouch for its value and (apparent) accuracy.  A great way to “waste” and oz or two :)

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Very entertaining article. So much about cold weather camping I don’t know.

When the Dipole 1 DW first came out I thought it looked a bit busy and maybe that it required too much fiddle factor in order to get set up just right. But the more reviews I see on the tent the more I’m beginning to think it’s for real. At 60″ wide the footprint isn’t humongous like with most trekking pole tents and the amount of livable space is unmatched for its size. Add to it the fact that it can function as a 3 1/2 season tent that handles light snow loads and the $329 price (solid inner) seems reasonable.

When I click on the blue Dipole 1 link above it takes me to Dipole Li (single wall) instead of the Dipole 1 DW. Not sure why. Here’s the DW https://www.tarptent.com/product/dipole-1-dw/

H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

Nice to see the snow. Not much this year where we are. Anyway, enjoyed the piece but especially interested to read your notes on the Dipole 1 and whether you prefer the foldable strut or not. Looks like you got the tent lashed on top so maybe the non? I want to upgrade to this or maybe X-Mid1 or Aeon.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

About 3x the cost of the Acurite is the  Tempo Disc  which record humidity, temp (and dew point) at whatever frequency you desire (I typically do 30 minute intervals).  Plenty of onboard storage.  Full data dump over bluetooth.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

@Mark – The Tempo Disc is brilliant and exactly what I need for another application.  We now have an EV and I’m wondering how cold the frunk gets in the winter as we drive around and this will be perfect!

Bryan Bihlmaier
    BPL Member

@bryanb

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

@Ryan – I’m glad that you are testing lightweight, single person winter tents. I am in the market for a one person, light weight. winter tent (I already have a two person expedition tent).

The Dipole DW looks like a good option IF you can pitch it on dry ground and get 6 to 8 solid stake placements, as you did. I’ve been considering the TarpTent Moment DW since I will typically be camping on snow that I compress with skis or snowshoes. It looks like it only requires two solid snow anchors minimum, plus additional less-loaded ones for guy out points. Do you have experience pitching trekking pole tents on packed snow? And if so, which of these two tents would you recommend for snow camping? Or do you recommend a different 1-person, light weight, winter tent for just below treeline? (I live in Utah where the snow is typically not as dense as other locations, but the wind can be pretty strong. I would not use a lightweight tent in an exposed area in high wind though.)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!