Topic

Episode 107 | Backpack Ventilation with Vaucluse

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Episode 107 | Backpack Ventilation with Vaucluse

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to: Episode 107 | Backpack Ventilation with Vaucluse

Episode Sponsor Today’s episode of the Backpacking Light Podcast is sponsored by Garage Grown Gear, your hub for all things ultralight. Garage Grown G

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

The thing that surprises me is that something like the Vaucluse frame is necessary. It boggles my mind that packs that press a waterproof layer against your back ever became popular at all.

It isn’t about sweat — it’s about dumping the heat generated by backpacking.

One of the evolutionary adaptations that allow humans to walk/run farther than most other animals is our hairless backs. They are a big part of the cooling that makes it possible for us to travel so far in a day.

We have had so many discussions about why ponchos are more comfortable than rain jackets above 40-50F (5-10C) because ponchos don’t press press a waterproof layer against your back. Why spoil that with a backpack that does the same?

BTW, I really like the optional mesh sleeve that covers the Vaucluse frame. It improves comfort and decreases snagging on expensive UL fabrics (such as Echo or Alpha Direct).

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Interesting product. The reason I love Zpacks Arc line of packs is you get a really great airflow design and for an incredible weight-20oz +/-.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

^ That.  Love my Arc Haul.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

I loosen my Kakwa straps a bit and place most of the weight on my hips.  It creates a gap between my back and pack and walking provides a bit of pumping moving air without swaying or shaking.

Problem solved!

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Its the same with my HMG. My back doesn’t get hot or sweaty. I don’t want the weight any further from my back as I feel this product may do. I may love it if I tried it, but I really have no incentive to try it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!