Topic

Eliminate pillow weight with 2 dual use items

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Eliminate pillow weight with 2 dual use items

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

A 6.5″ X 12.5″ MLD 20D flat stuff sack (0.4 oz) already being used to pack other items and a foam sit pad (1.0 oz) measuring 11″ X 15.5″ unfolded (11″ X 4″ X 1.4″ folded). Sit pad can also be utilized with frameless pack for structure and cushion against back (bottom pic), so triple use really.

Flat stuff sack must be just the right size though or the soft items you add to the folded pad will spread out and not maintain the height you need for a functional pillow. Too small and there’s not enough room to stuff the extra items inside.

Along with the folded foam pad simply add spare socks, stuff sacks, toilet paper, beanie cap or a host of other soft items that you’re already carrying anyway and you’ll have a 3 1/2″ thick by 11″ X 5″ pillow….and it will weigh absolutely nothing because the stuff sack and foam pad are dual use (or triple use) items. I’ve slept on it a couple of nights and not quite as comfortable as a designated pillow but for zero weight it’s just fine.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Looks very functional, and I love to see these detailed ideas with photos. Unfortunately, my dog gets to sleep on my sit-pad, so I don’t own it at night.  :-)

I have been using a partially inflated hospital pillow for many years now. Not really multi-use (although I do use it to protect my Kindle in my pack), but extremely light and compact, and it works for me.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I often put a Z-fold sleeping pad INSIDE my pack for structure and padding, but I’m intrigued by having it against one’s body and using the pleasure dots to give more spacing and air circulation.

And it’s then more accessible for mid-day easy during a break or lunch stop.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

ZPacks sells the folding foam sit pads. https://zpacks.com/products/foam-sit-pad

I like to carry 2 closed cell foam pads (sit pad size) for a couple of reasons. First of all when I’m  lounging around camp I place one under my glutes to sit on and another between my back and a tree, boulder or other solid object so I can have a cushioned backrest. Secondly I like to have 2 ccf pads in case my inflatable goes flat and then I’ll have one to go under the hips and another under the shoulders. Not comfy but a hundred times better than nothing. I might actually get some sleep that way.

But for my main ccf pad on the outside of my frameless pack I prefer a cut piece of Ridgerest because it is much more solid than any other foam pads, especially when the ridges are vertical. Gives the pack a lot more structure than Z-Lite or blue Zpacks foam. I carry the blue pad folded either inside the pack or in one of the outer pockets.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Great idea, gonna try this! btw Monty, is that a Sub Nero?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Yea Chris, pack is a Sub Nero with an MYOG shoulder strap bottle holder. At 9.7 oz it’s a fantastic SUL pack.

Simplicity and multi-use are fundamentals of ultralight, however it seems like many UL backpackers are carrying heavier pack weights now than they were 10 or 15 years ago.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

What I have done instead of a sit pad (because I never sit on a sit pad) is I cut my CCF accordion-style pad so that there are 4 panels for using against my back and 6 panels that I strap on top and at night I velcro them together. I like a full-length pad for myself. I also cut the width to 17 inches because the torso length of my pack is only 16 inches. Seems wide enough to me. 10 panels is just too much to put inside my pack.

For a pillow I just use extra clothing. There are at least an extra pair of socks and an emergency poncho. I don’t really notice if there isn’t much of a pillow.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!